harness for water time?

Thread: harness for water time?

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Defaultharness for water time?

I'm trying to find a suitable place to take our pup for her first water experience, well first main experience and was wondering if it best to get a regular harness to hook a long line to. We did that years ago with our other lab, but I can't find the harness anymore, darn it. She has no recall yet and I don't want her getting out too far or away from us.

For dogs that will occasionally retrieve in the yard, will they retrieve better in water or at a park? We have found one toy that she will bring back about 60% of the time. Balls, forget it, usually won't even chase them. Do they usually like the bumper things better than balls?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: harness for water time?

make that ball a lot of fun...build drive for it, move it around, make the dog want it and then eventually she will chase it.

no need for a harness or leash to introduce water - just go in and encourage the dog to come with you - start slow...

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

We cannot have her off leash at any of the water areas around here. Also even if we could have her off leash, if it isn't fenced, she'd run away.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have taken my two to the river or lake I put them on a long line (like you use for training). My two don't have the best recall either. One thing I do is keep a knife in my pocket though - just in case there is a problem and I need to cut the line for any reason. My male, Tugg will chase a ball for hours, Skye on the other hand could care less. She really doesn't retrieve much and doesn't like the water much either??? Wierd.

You can get a regular harness at the pet store... Pet Smart sells them I'm sure of it. We got our long lines we use for retrieving (before they are 100% on recall) from a tack shop. It's a 40 foot horse lead (nylon) easy to clean...we toss it right into the washer or sometimes just hose it off.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I got Tal one of those retractible leashes for this very purpose. I think I used it once. I wanted to make sure he would swim and that I would be able to get him in quickly. And his recall is pretty good plus he doesnt stray too far from me.