Silly question regarding tomorrow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question regarding tomorrow

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultSilly question regarding tomorrow

Can I bring a tshirt of mine or my husbands to leave with Frankie at the vet tomorrow so he's not scared when I leave him, or when he wakes up? Or is that completely silly?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Silly question regarding tomorrow

When annie was really sick I took HER blanket to the vet for her to have. When I went to pick her up I asked about her blanket and no one could seem to find it.. they ended up finding it in with another dog.
    When I came home I asked my brother if the day before when he went to see her if she had her blanket and he said no...

So my answer would be IF he isnt staying the night I wouldnt take anything. If he has to stay the night then I would..

Oh heck no, he's coming home tomorrow afternoon! I couldn't handle him staying overnight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Oh heck no, he's coming home tomorrow afternoon! I couldn't handle him staying overnight.
    Then I wouldnt risk him not having it anyway. He will be out of it and probably care less. give him LOTS of love before you leave him and then lots of love when you pick him up!
    Good luck to all of you!

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

I've worked at a couple of vet clinics and despite allowing owners to bring toys, blankets, and beds for their pets- we do not put them in with the pets. The main reason we don't is not because we don't want to or we don't care - but dogs tend to chew up their toys and beds easily, especially when separated from owners, bored, stressed, etc. When they destroy things - they are at risk for obstructions as well as the owners being very upset that the stuff was destroyed. So we do not put anything in their crates or runs. Also, your dog will probably be put in the surgery prep room - nearly right after opening so he will be sedated - then have his surgery - then waking up for sedation - he won't remember much for most of the time he's there. I wouldn't worry about bringing something from home. But its not silly to think - sometimes it helps them adjust - but for just a day I don't think you need to worry about it. I do suggest that when you go to the clinic that you try not to be nervous - because he will pick up on it - just drop him off like he's going to daycare or someplace fun - if you don't make a big deal about it, he likely won't.

Betsy

We never allowed owners to do that because we always kept dogs in a *relatively* (as much as possible) sterile environment post surgery and frankly, we don't know what's on the toy, blankie, t-shirt from home...

if they're boarding, it's one thing...but surgery- we never allowed it.

labby is offline Senior Member

Don't take this wrong Amy, but you're going to miss him more than he's going to miss you. He'll be out of it and won't know about the shirt. I'd leave it at home.

Laura

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Don't take this wrong Amy, but you're going to miss him more than he's going to miss you. He'll be out of it and won't know about the shirt. I'd leave it at home.
    I agree. He'll bounce back in no time at all.
    I was so worried when Elias was neutered. He came home afterwards and slept and the next day it was like nothing happened.

I always do that sort of thing when I leave my pet overnight. And I've never had a problem with a lost article.

Whether it helps or not, I like to believe it does. If not for my pet's piece of mind, it sure helps mine!

Do it.

Points well taken guys, thank you!! The shirt stays home then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast