Dang it--fever again *Wed morning update*
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang it--fever again *Wed morning update*

DefaultDang it--fever again *Wed morning update*

I noticed when Timber came over to be petted that her ears seemed warm, so I took her temp. 103.8. She doesnt seem to be out of sorts---shes been eating today and has asked to go outside a few times. Just a dang fever. She has been on atbx since Friday, so this is the 5th day of 10.

The vet said to monitor it tonite and to bring her in if it gets much higher than that. He gives his cell # to owners with very sick dogs, and he considers the cancer to be very sick, so I know I can contact him if need be. Ugh.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The vet gave her some oral meds to bring the fever down and when we left the office it was at 103. He said he has had numerous osteosarcoma patients but none have ran a fever like this. He looked over all her bloodwork results again to be sure he didnt miss anything. The white cell count was close to normal, and with her being on day 5 of atbx, it has him kinda stumped.

He did ask if I was ok with injections, and since I used to help give dogs vaccinations (stepdad is a farm boy that gives his own) I am ok with that. He sent me home with three injections of Ketofen and said if her fever gets above 104 and I cant get a hold of him, to give her an injection. She is also on a cortisone doseage for the rest of her life unless it causes issues with urination. (He said it can make them not be able to control their urine as well as usual sometimes.) I am supposed to monitor the temp for the next couple days and let him know what its been. If this doesnt help her, we will try something else.

He said that its just a matter of hit and miss with cancer, and what works for one dog might not for another. All I know is this guy is awesome, and I love that he actually listens to the owners. I wish I could find a ped that was as good as he is.

*ETA--He said it would be a good idea if she slept near one of us for a while till we can get this fever figured out. I told him that wouldnt be a problem, as she usually takes half our bed anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her fever seemed to break about 2 this morning, and is normal now. (101.7) Hopefully this works for her. That look in her poor eyes when you know she just doesnt feel good about breaks your heart. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dang it--fever again

(((((hugs))))) Prayers that Timber's temp goes down and you both have a restful night.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Oh No!! Hope her fever goes back down soon...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well he called back after looking at her chart and said he was on the road and would meet me there in 45 minutes. I will update when we get home. He did mention that the cancer could be causing the temp to fluctuate, but the Metacam should be helping with that.

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

Oh no, so sorry to hear about Timber. Positive thoughts are on their way.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts to Timber.

Won't someone please feed me!

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Continued prayers

Brookville, Pa.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Good that you are 'tuned into' her and noticed the temp even if she was behaving normally. Continued prayers for sweet Timber. Thanks for keeping us updated.

pj

continued good thoughts out to timber!

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dang it--fever again *Update*

I hope Timber's temp comes down. I will look for your update when you get back from the vet. Timber is in my prayers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast