Do you suppose this would be an effective way to train?

Thread: Do you suppose this would be an effective way to train?

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you suppose this would be an effective way to train?

Molly truly does not have a reliable recall and it's something that I work with her on constantly. Here at the beach we have a small lot and the girls have tie-outs that are 30' feet long for when we go outside. Today I was doing some yard work (read pulling weeds and trimming grass around the shed etc...) I unclipped her line from her stake and just let her follow me around...I think she thought the line was still connected. While she was distracted I would call her to me "Molly come!!!" and each time I did she would come running full force at me. I would praise her and give her a piece of steak (yummm lol).

Do you think that will continue to be effective or will she finally catch on that she's not connected and go running off ingoring me when I tell her to come? or will it backfire some other way?
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you suppose this would be an effective way to train?

IMHO, there are some dogs that no matter how much training they have, they will run off. Magnum is one of those dogs. She competes at obedience and agility, but do you think I trust her off leash for even a second around the farm, no way. She has run off on me twice, and won't come back (I have to physically go get her). She has lost all off leash privledges forever (unless she's in a secure area).

You know your dog best. If you feel the dog will leave you, don't chance it. It could very well be a tragedy waiting to happen.

I thought Kallie was the only one who didn't know whether or not her leash was connected to anything!!LOL!! Her recall is semi-reliable but I want her to be able to be off leash too!! So I started with a long line tied out too..then I would untie it and let it drag with her..I figured if she bolted I had 50 extra feet to catch her LOL!! but she never ran..If I took off the leash she would wonder(exploring next door etc..but she never "bolted")..Now I can leave the 6 foot leash on her and she follows me etc and she is much better off leash too..The "wait" command came in very handy b/c her "come" was iffy!! I think it is working for us, so give it a try..as long as she is coming when you call her..and you have those extra feet to catch her..just in case..I think it will work out for you..IMO!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I dunno ... Buddy knows just how far he can go on his 30' tie out, and if he suddenly were able to go beyond that point, I think he'd figure out pretty quickly that he could keep on truckin'. I'd be reeeeally careful until you know her recall is 100% because you never know when the weird thing can happen!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy