Laura a silly ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laura a silly ???

DefaultLaura a silly ???

Laura,
    Just been watching the lab cam. Those pups sure nurse a lot for the 1st day of their lives. Just a silly question (considering I know nothing about newborn pups)
    When do they get teeth? Poor Libby if it is soon
    When do their eyes open?
    They must be pooping and yet the whelping blanket is clean. How Come? Are you changin this thing everytime one of them poops or is Libby taking care of the clean up?
    Does Libby pretty much stay there to feed or does she take a break now and then?

Silly questions, but just curious.
    Pat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Laura a silly ???

They don't get teeth until about 3 weeks. Their eyes and ears open at about 10-15 days. Not all open at once. They're pooping. The little black girl and one of the yellow males were pooping immediately upon birth. Libby keeps them clean until they start eating puppy food. Then she stops and its my job.

For the first week or so she spends 98% of her time with the puppies. Then she starts leaving them a bit more as she starts to put them on a schedule. Right now the only time you'll see her out of there is if she's outside or eating. Some girls eat with their puppies. Libby comes tearing out of the box and into the kitchen. So far she's never hurt a puppy in her scramble to eat but she scares the heck out of me sometimes.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

LOL - I wondered about the moms eating and if they were in a hurry to chow down after expending all those calories nursing. Do you give her extra nourishment while she's nursing, Laura?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Some girls eat with their puppies. Libby comes tearing out of the box and into the kitchen.
    Libby's a crackup. "Puppies, driving me crazy...must escape...immediately." Just don't stomp the pups on your way out.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Jackie, the first week I don't do much differently than what I've been doing. She's getting her regular food plus puppy food. Once the pups start growing I'll increase the food since everything she is eating is going to the puppies. I don't really supplement beyond giving her some yogurt once a day as a treat.

Laura

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

I have 2 questions. What do you do with them right after they are born? Each time I looked at the labbycam they were gone. Also, how did I watch every second and miss a birth? Do they scoot out of Libby in less than 30 seconds?

Right after they're born, I take them out, break the sac and get them to scream a bit by either pinching their necks or rubbing them with a towel. I will use a bulb syringe to get any liquid out of their mouths. Then I cut the cord and disinfect it. Then I rub some more and really get them mad and crying. Then I put a string around their neck and weight them. If Libby isn't about to have another, I'll put the puppy in with her. If she looks like she's about to have another they go in a tub nearby that has a heating pad in it.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Those poor babies, getting pinched just minutes after they're born! :'( What a mean grandma you are, Laura. (I know, it's the same reason doctors spank babies, to get those lungs working as quickly as possible)

When can we see some individual pics?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Great questions, Pat. Thanks for answering, Laura.

Yes, thanks for answering our inexperienced questions Laura. This has been quite something watching these puppers being born. Thanks for sharing the experience with all of us. For most of us, it is the only way we will see a pup being born.

Pat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast