I need help with Tater
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with Tater

Tater Guest

DefaultI need help with Tater

When he is getting into something he is not suppose to be into I will say "Tater NO" well use to he would leave it alone and walk away. For the past two weeks I have to tell him more then three times to get his attention. Cody said he might be losing his hearing, I just think he is becoming hard headed. Anyone ever have these problems?

I wish I could tell him if I have to say it three times you are getting time out. Which is what I guess I might have to do. Any other time you say "Come Tater" he can hear that. But when you are telling him no he doesn't respond. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I need help with Tater

Sounds just like Oakley and my nephews!! Unfortunately, we just have to leave what we are doing and reinforce what they can't have/do. If we leave it, then they learn that they don't need to listen to the "no" or that they don't have to listen until the 3rd time you say it.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It might be that "no" is too general. Frankie doesn't know "no" from a hole in the wall, but he does know "leave it" and "off".

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    It might be that "no" is too general. Frankie doesn't know "no" from a hole in the wall, but he does know "leave it" and "off".
    Well I guess starting tonight we will start with a new word like leave it. Just gets kind of frustrating. But other then this he has been really good.

He slept with us again Sunday night, he slept on the bench by the window all night. He fell off of it because it really isn't big enough for his fat butt.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Yes, I agree with Amy. Use another word, such as "leave it", it works for us.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

He might be just going through a phase, Sam. I would honestly try teaching him leave it. Have him sit, or lie down, and place a treat in front of him, and tell him leave it. Make him leave it for various time periods ( 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc, working up, but take it slow for the first 5 or 6 times, increasing the length gradually) Then tell him "Okay" to let him know he can have it.

Try to work this twice a day if possible, till he gets the hang of it. Then use it for stuff he can't have, but make sure that after you tell him Leave it when he's trying to eat your shoe, give him a cookie. Eventually after a while you can stop giving him a cookie.

I have the same problem with Abby - she just doesn't get "leave it" when it comes to my solar garden lights. It's making me nuts.

Hang in there - if it is a phase, it'll stop. Just don't give him any quarter LOL
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Not only do I think you need to be more specific with Tater (as pps have stated), but you also need to follow up with correction. If you tell him "leave it" and he doesn't, don't just say it again while sitting on your butt (or what ever you were doing). If he doesn't respond, you need to get up, go over to him, and correct him (take away whatever he is supposed to leave alone or remove him from what he isn't supposed to be doing). As you correct him, say again, "Tater, leave it" and then when you make sure he does, reinforce with "good boy, Tater!" and lots of petting.

If you repeat a command without enforcing, Tater is going to learn that he gets several chances before he has to obey. IMO, it is better to correct him after you have given and he has ignored the command ONE time.

As as aside, "correct him" does not mean hit him or tap him or physically punish him. "Correct him" means going over and physically changing his behavior by either removing him from the situation or taking away whatever it was he had.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

he is a male...they have selective hearing.... ;D

IzzyLucyWillie is offline Senior Member

How old is he? Sounds like he might be entering his "teenage" phase ;D

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    Not only do I think you need to be more specific with Tater (as pps have stated), but you also need to follow up with correction. If you tell him "leave it" and he doesn't, don't just say it again while sitting on your butt (or what ever you were doing). If he doesn't respond, you need to get up, go over to him, and correct him (take away whatever he is supposed to leave alone or remove him from what he isn't supposed to be doing). As you correct him, say again, "Tater, leave it" and then when you make sure he does, reinforce with "good boy, Tater!" and lots of petting.

If you repeat a command without enforcing, Tater is going to learn that he gets several chances before he has to obey. IMO, it is better to correct him after you have given and he has ignored the command ONE time.

As as aside, "correct him" does not mean hit him or tap him or physically punish him. "Correct him" means going over and physically changing his behavior by either removing him from the situation or taking away whatever it was he had.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestGirl
    he is a male...they have selective hearing.... ;D
    What? ;D
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast