The impression I must leave on some people

Thread: The impression I must leave on some people

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe impression I must leave on some people

Someone commented how nice it was that the surgeon 'remembered' me.
    I sometimes wonder what it means when they say they remember me. Yes, I'm that neurotic person who camps out in the vet's closet until it's over. Yes, I'm that person who called you 3 dozen times after I got him home. Yup - that was me who made you drive all the way out here cause I thought his "lab wiggle' didn't look right after the stitches were removed.
    He made room for me Thursday so I guess whatever he's thinking, it's ok. His next available surgery date was 10 days from now.
    Buddy ate and drank this morning. He waited as long as he could to venture outside. In spite of all that is wrong and the pain he must be feeling, he smiled at me from inside his igloo. I told him if he tried really hard to get himself outside, I'd have a nice piece of turkey breast waiting for him inside his Kong. It worked. He crawled out and did this stuff then hopped back inside.
    I tried to keep my sense of humor this morning and told a few people if I ever have another dog - and if I did, it would have to be a lab - the very first thing I'm going to train it to do is ride in a Little Tykes, or Radio Flyer red wagon. I'm getting older by the hour and not in such great condition anymore. Trying to help a 95 lb. dog get around just isn't possible anymore. For all the times I've lugged him out to the yard, back to the house, out to the car, from the car to the vet's office and back to the car, etc. from all his surgeries, it would have saved a tremendous amount of pain on my part if I put him on wheels. Then if I could strap him in somehow, I could push the wagon up the Dogramp I already have and he'd be inside the back end of my SUV much easier. Well, one of my friends took me seriously and tried to get me to take their old (human) baby stroller. The first visual in my mind was a 95lb. human baby in it - then I thought about the elderly woman in my community that pushes her little fluffy pet all around in a doggie stroller complete with mosquito net! I really can't see Buddy letting me humiliate him to that degree. But it did make me smile thinking the gossip that would cause about me around here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: The impression I must leave on some people

Hi Pam-

Could you please tell me about what happened to Buddy 2 years ago? How old was he...what was his injury...why didn't it heal completely? What did the vet advise you to do? Did you make up for his not being able to run with swimming?

Thanks for the info.

You are so brave....I hope that Buddy feels much better soon.

Julie

Gosh Pam, I hear ya. My back would not allow such exertions but we do what we have to do, right? THEY come first, no matter what.

I hate to think of Buddy being in pain. And bless his heart he is still smiling.

Have you tried to use a sling? I know several people who used one successfully after their dog's surgeries. I bet you could make one up.
    Hang in there, Pam and give Buddy BIG kisses.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nice to read the update on Buddy....good luck with the ortho vet; I'll be watching for news after that, and keep hoping Buddy's gonna be better really soon.

Gus and Zekes Mom is offline Senior Member

Pam,

I feel for you on trying to get Buddy in and out of the house, etc. We are going on 3 weeks post TPLO with Gus and he weighs about 98 pounds.

Two things have been my saving grace:
    (1) With overdue thanks to Labby Laura, I read in Darby's TPLO Diary about making a sling out of a tote bag. I did this and it works beautifully. It is easier for me to use because of the length of the handles; and,
    (2) I bought a telescoping ramp that I intended to use to get him in and out of the Jeep. It works perfectly at my front door as well so that is how I get him in and out of the house to go to the bathroom. I use the sling to support his rear as we go in and out. I bought mine on eBay and it was a good deal cheaper, even with shipping, than Drs Foster and Smith, PetSmart, etc. The one I bought was the 72" double telescoping ramp and I don't know how I would have managed without it. The seller has them on all of the time. I bought mine using Buy it Now, but you may be able to get it cheaper if you want to bid on one. Here is the link: http://stores.ebay.com/dog-ramp-inc

Good Luck with Buddy. I hope that he will feel better soon.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

then I thought about the elderly woman in my community that pushes her little fluffy pet all around in a doggie stroller complete with mosquito net!
    Like this, Pam? I took this on vacation because I got a kick out of it! There are 2 dogs in the stroller, if you look closely. ;D Kisses to Buddy for me. :-*

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

Ha - that picture is exactly what I meant - except the mosquito net is missing. Now picture my 95 lb. lab stuffed in something like that LOL
    To answer all your questions Julie, I sent you a rather long PM. It did heal ok and I'm very happy with the end result. I just drove the man crazy. That's what I meant.
    The sling..... ah, you really had to be here to appreciate this one. Yesterday after everyone disappeared and I got him to stand up to go out, I put the large soft bath towel under him and before I could even put the 2 ends together, he looked up at me with an expression that clearly said "Don't even think about it!!!" I dropped the towel to the floor - obedient human that I am - and he hopped out the door on his own. He has a way of telling you exactly what he wants, and what he is thinking. I can read him like a book. I can ask questions that require a yes or no answer and he tells me with certain movements what I need to know.
    I have a DogRamp. I think that's the true name of it. Someone in here recommended it a while back and it turned out the manufacturer was here in Delray so I went to the warehouse and saved the $20 shipping. Mine isn't telescoping. But it works fine as he sits in the rear seat of the suv so I rest one end on the floor and all he has to do is step up from the floor to the base of the seat. I think it was $60?