Hi everyone! I just posted today in Odds and Ends regarding some birds on my porch and in it I had mentioned that I want to get a lab in mid-July once we return from our vacation to Colorado. Well, my mom asked me something tonight at our BBQ that makes me reconsider that plan, though I'm torn.
Apparently her boss's son and his girlfriend have an american staffordshire terrier that got out of their yard and mated with a lab. They have one puppy left and are having trouble finding it a home because it looks the most like a lab. She mentioned it to me last week, but I told her that I'd prefer to just wait. They called her again today and asked if I was interested.
I'd take him in a heartbeat, but the main issue I am having with this is the puppies are 5 and a half weeks and they are already giving them to new homes!!! This is WAY to early in my book and I'd prefer the puppy stay with it's mother until it is AT LEAST 8 weeks old. I'm not sure they would allow this as I think (though I'm not sure it's definitely their motive for giving the pups away so early) they are trying to get her ready to breed with another AST. That in itself TICKS me off to no end. They have been supplementing with formula/bottle feeding it (I believe the others are gone) and want this one gone asap. It is free, I believe.
I really wanted a female lab. Not a male nor a mix, though I'm not completely against either. I just really don't want this puppy to fall into the wrong hands. Without saying anything blatantly bad about these people and the people they associate with, I don't think they are catering to the most upscale clientele and feel as if its for me to take the little guy and give him a safe, loving home. But I worry about whether taking him is the right thing to do or not.
Does anyone have any advice or guidance here? I don't doubt myself in being able to raise him to be healthy and well-mannered, though it would be a challenge at fist. I just wonder if I'd be doing the right thing, you know? And if I don't take him, what will happen to him? I can't bear to think of the idiots that could get their hands on him.
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you all can give!
If you want a female lab, turn the male mix breed down and wait.
Staffies and pitbulls (and mixes thereof) can be GREAT pets, but they do have some temperament issues (specifically the potential for serious dog aggression) that owners need to be aware of and prepared for. Taking a too young-puppy with a sketchy genetic background simply because you feel some sympathy for it isn't the best thing for you or the puppy, plus it gets the mother's owners off the hook so they can hustle up yet another litter of staffies (and the overpopulation of that breed is worse than that of labradors, since most languish in shelters far longer than a lab would)
I'd advise saying no.
I agree -- don't settle for what you don't want -- if you want a female lab, then wait when the time is good for you. You will be much happier in the long run. The story, though, is tragic. Some people, geez . . . .
Thank you, kaytris and lablimo.
I am aware of the temperament issues and that's another reason I'm just not sure I'll take him. I know quite a bit about labs and I just don't have enough experience with other breeds to have an idea of what I'd be getting myself into.
I'm not even prepared. I don't have a crate or anything yet. And I need to set aside money for all the vet expenses that come along with it.
The sad thing about this is they'll keep breeding and keep breeding regardless of who takes the puppies and there's nothing to be done about it.
Doubt is a sure sign that you need to wait. Reasearch, prepare, THEN add a new addition to your home. you are NOT a bad person for saying NO to that puppy. At five weeks old that will most likely cause behavior issues down the line. Add that to the AST in him and the fact that you dont know the tempermant of the parents and you could be asking for serious trouble.
Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />
Thanks, Apollopuppy! I've been reading up on labs and training and all that good stuff for the past 10 years, so aside from adding more money to the vet visit fund (I have two cats already) and the necessities, I'm ready! I guess I just needed others to kick me in the head and help me see that this isn't really something I have to do. I just hope he gets a loving home...
If anyone knows its hard to say no to an animal in need, its me (just look at my siggy pics! ) I had to learn that 'you can't save em all' and its OKAY if you dont rescue every animal that crosses your path. Sure glad I learned that lesson when I did, or I likely would have wound up with WAY more animals then I could care for, and that would be bad.
Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />
I agree with Kaytris!
If everyone ran out to buy all the poor puppies in pet stores, from back-yard breeders and from puppy mills out of guilt or fear that would simply justify all three to produce more pups (none care why you are buying - just that you are buying). Go with your gut and find the pup that is right for you.
Charlie (foster) and Rocky
I say no. By giving these puppies away at such a young age they are being stripped of all the lessons the litter mates can teach them about doggie etiquette. You can predict with some certainty that those puppies are going to have fear aggression issues with other dogs, and they will have mouthing issues with their owners. There is also the possibility that the dog could develop separation anxiety. Many of these things can be corrected if the new owner is diligent, but how many people are? If I were there I would give the irresponsible owners of the dam a pat on the back for allowing an intact bitch to wander unsupervised contributing to the unwanted dog population. :'(
I would definately wait. I know it's so hard to not want to rescue the pup (soooo been there) but in the end, you can't save them all, and you'd just be contributing to these people's "breeding" efforts.
One of the things I remember thinking when I was visiting breeders many moons ago was that if I felt like I would be "rescuing" the pup from that situation, then I would find another breeder. It worked out in the end, and we have our fantastic, adorable, perfect little puppy! (in my opinion, anyhoo!! hee hee ;D)
It is hard to have patience, but it is sooooo worth it in the end!!!
Baloo - 5 year old black lab
Peanut - 7 year old minpin
Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue