think we have the sleep issues resolved-UPDATE

Thread: think we have the sleep issues resolved-UPDATE

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Defaultthink we have the sleep issues resolved-UPDATE

Tuesday am - Buddy was quiet all night again. ;D I think this is the solution. I, however, did not sleep well because I kept listening for him. Kept thinking I heard a tail wag on the dresser, or soft footsteps around the bed. Tonight should be better.

When we left him out before, the bedroom door was closed so he could not go anywhere. He would keep moving from his bed on the floor next to me, to the floor in front of the door, or just pace around the bed, wagging his tail. When he'd wag it against the closet doors, it sounded like someone beating a bass drum!

His crate will never be removed; we left it for Shadow because it was her 'den.' It will always be there for Buddy, too, and eventually he will go into it on his own like she did. We had the door off it for her and I hope to be able to remove the door again some day. For now, that is where he will be sleeping.

Since we got Buddy, he has not slept through the night. As a result, I haven't either. :-\ Add his nocturnal wanderings to my sleep apnea, and you get one tired, cranky, old lady. Bill was home this weekend and last night we decided to put him in the crate to sleep ... and he was quiet all night. Talking to Bill about it tonight, we realized that maybe he was not comfortable being out of the crate at night. He never had been before, he was always in a crate, run, or cage at night, so maybe not being confined was too different for him to be able to sleep well. I just put him in his crate now, with a frozen Kong, and we will see how he does.

Cross your fingers!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: think we have the sleep issues resolved

They are creatures of habit, aren't they?

I was able to slowly wean Zoe from being crateless at night. Buddy will learn too.

those crates are huge and take up so much space. LOL
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

That could be it (his being used to sleeping in a crate). Besides wandering does he do anything else at night? While Ranger sleeps at the foot of the bed, I put a 6ft leash on him and hook it over the bed post, that way he can't wander around. It doesn't bother him a bit.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Finger and paws crossed !!! I hope that YOU can get some sleep now !

Shhhhhhhh.... don't wake the baby !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Awwww...he missed his den! I bet you solved the problem, Jackie.

georgie is offline Senior Member

That may be his comfort area at night. Also, I think, over time, he may not need the crate at night, but he probably just feels "safe" in there at night. Let us know how it goes.

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: think we have the sleep issues resolved-UPDATE

I am glad to hear Buddy had a good night.