Chipping

Thread: Chipping

DefaultChipping

What is your opinion about chipping? Does it help if your dog is stolen? Just wondering. Some people are against chipping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chipping

I am not sure if any type of ID would help if your dog is stolen, but if your dog is lost, then I believe micro-chips are very helpful. It is a standard procedure to scan for a chip on a lost dog. My dog is micro-chipped and if we're out and about, he also wears a collar with ID tags.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I think it is a great way to recover a lost or stolen dog. All three of my dogs are microchipped.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

K.B. Guest

I was under the impression that a vet would scan for a chip if someone brought a new dog in for care. In that case, a chip would help even if the dog was stolen because they would see that these people were not the owners. I've been thinking about having mine chipped.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

There is no reason on earth NOT to chip and every reason for it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Madison was chipped the same time as her spay. I think it's great. Sarah will also be chipped when she goes in for her spay when she's old enough. That way, in case something happens, they'll at least have the chips. Both girls have ID tags on their collars, but those can disappear.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Certainly shelters, Animal Control, Humane Societies, ASPCA's, and even vets can run the scan to see if they can find the owners, but in the case when a dog is found and whomever finds it - wants to keep it.....they'll make up their own story and never have it scanned.

I see no reason not to - it can't hurt.

I'm also looking forward to the day, when they can use a tracking GPS chip.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Kathryn Guest

Jacey and Dakota will both be chipped when they are spayed. I never let them out where I cant see them but I dont want to take my chance. If I can do one small thing to try and be able to get my dogs back I will. Its with the $60 per dog to me.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I had Tal spayed when he was neutered. I agree there is every reason to chip...no reason not to.

Even if your dog is, God forbid, stolen, there is still a slim chance it can be recovered and returned to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    Jacey and Dakota will both be chipped when they are spayed. I never let them out where I cant see them but I dont want to take my chance. If I can do one small thing to try and be able to get my dogs back I will. Its with the $60 per dog to me.
    Like wise Tal is never out of my sight. And I wanted to make sure every possibility was covered in the event the unthinlable happens.