games and fetch

Thread: games and fetch

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Defaultgames and fetch

How do you exercise your puppy when they could basically care less about games and fetch? We have a labrador, not a labrador retreiver, LOL! All she wants to do is eat everything in sight when outside, no interest in toys. She will play with other dogs, but not us? We do not want a second dog, so that isn't an option. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: games and fetch

How old is your puppy?

Is there a doggie day care in your area? While they can be expensive ($10-20 per day), it can be a fantastic way to tire your dog out. Any other pups in your area? Or older, tolerant dogs that your pup could have play dates with?

Does she like to swim?

As pups (and now too) my kids really liked to chase laser pointer lights. BUT! You have to be VERY careful not to let the light get to their eyes. My kids would chase the light (at night in the yard) for an hour.

Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I have the same problem with Buddy, 11 months old. He spent most of his life in a rescue or a shelter and only played with other dogs, not people. He will play with toys, but he doesn't retrieve. We have been working on that by first tossing a tennis ball from hand to hand to get his attention, then tossing it across the room. Anything he will get excited about is a good thing to use. Then just keep trying to get him to chase it, to grab it, pick it up, and praise him like crazy when he does. Act happy and excited and he will start to get that way, too.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

K.B. Guest

My dogs don't retrieve either. They love for us to throw the ball, and will get all excited when we're about to throw it, and they'll chase after it like there's no tomorrow, but bring it back? No way. They'll come back sometimes, but they won't let go of the ball. They want US to chase them now. That usually ends the game for me

She's 5 months. She doesn't show much interest in toys either. Her idea of play is to sit there, bark and growl at you, occasionally bite. Or run in the yard and attack you. I've tried to turn my back and ignore her, now I have a big hole in the butt of my sweat pants. She also thinks it is fun to chase our kids and jump and try to bite them. I'm very concerned she will hurt them accidentally. I don't think any of it is mean, but I can't get her playing appropriate games. We've had her for almost 3 months and the week she was the best and seemed happiest was when we were visiting family with 4 dogs. She didn't get tons more exercise, just dog interaction and play time. I plan to check into the doggie daycare in our area for maybe half day visits a couple of days a week. I've been told dogs don't need other dogs, that they can all adjust to being the only dog in the household, but I just wonder with her. I want her to be happy. If I take her in the backyard on leash she gets frustrated and tries to bite me and the leash, if I let her off leash, she eats everything in sight and digs, runs at you, jumps, tears holes in pants, etc. 99% of the time she could care less about toys you try to interact with her. We took her to puppy class and one of the exercises was to play hide and seek with your dog, ha, ha, she thought that was dumb and didn't try to look for you, no matter how much fun it sounded like you were making. She just seemed more balanced around other dogs. Mind you, she wasn't perfect, still had puppy antics and troublemaking, just a different dog.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

You need to find a good obedience class and enroll. She needs to learn some manners and rules of the house. Also, in the training subforum, there should be posts on the NILIF method (Nothing In Life Is Free). Training is not only physically tiring, it's mentally stimulating and can also exhaust a dog. In my opinion, your dog should be bonded to his/her humans first and then to other dogs. So, getting another dog at this point will not help anything and probably make it worse (you'll have two unruly dogs in the house).

We definitely do not want another dog. I'd just like to make this dog work. I've been waiting to get into obedience classes. I didn't care for the instructor where we took puppy class. We've been trying NILF, I've been reading the training forum, but not having much success yet. Our biggest issues are the jumping and nipping as well as barking. I just get so confused as to which training methods to use, everyone seems to have their preferences. So many say use the clicker method, yet I noticed that a lot use a pinch collar for walks in the survey. Thank you for all the suggestions so far.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Keep looking for a training class because that will help alot. Be consistent and make sure she follows the rules, no exceptions! It may take awhile but she will get the hang of it.

On the prong collar, I would get someone knowledgeable to show you how it works. The initial training class I took Tal to showed us how to use it and it has turned out to be an invaluable tool. Do not use the choke collar IMHO there is too much risk for injury with the choke.

Definitely get her into daycare. They do need other dogs and it gives them a chance to be a dog. Tal loves his...and it has made him alot clamer when we are out around other dogs. Plus it helps burn some of that energy. I am assuming she has had all her shots. Daycare's will not allow them unless they have, at least Tal's won't and I think the daycares that others on here use have the same rule.

Good, luck and keep us posted. Also, we love pics.

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Play CATCH with him. Marlan LOVES to catch the ball. Once he has mastered it, we try to make it more challenging for him. He could play for hours and hours.

I also vote for doggie daycare - it's awesome.