Can I hear your neuter experiences?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I hear your neuter experiences?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan I hear your neuter experiences?

I know, broken record over here. :-\ Frankie is going on Thursday for neuter and microchip and I'm sick to my stomach nervous already. I've had 3 males neutered already, but for some reason my mind is blanking about the aftermath. I took Friday off to spend the day with him.

Can I hear your stories? Recovery time? Do they whine and cry alot the first day or so? How many of yours bounced back like nothing happened? Do you think they know??? My husband is laying the guilt trip on my like Frankie is gonna be "pissed" when I pick him up Thursday p.m. : Did you notice a personality change for the better/worse? Frankie is the sweetest, most lovable snuggle dog we've ever had and I'd hate for him to lose that.

Sorry guys. I just need some reassurance. I'm going to feel like a horrible Dog Mom when I leave him there on Thursday.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can I hear your neuter experiences?

How evil can a human get !

Actually the damage is the anaesthetic and Samson was just sleepy don't think he noticed his back end was lighter ! I was really worried about him as he wasn't castrated until he was 12.

As far as Jasper is concerned, he is a far more laid back nicer dog since his op He was done at 18 months because of his aggression which has completely disappeared.

Samson was just sleepy don't think he noticed his back end was lighter !
    LOL! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

First, on the personality part, there won't be any change. I asked the same questions when Tal was neutered because, like you, I did not want to change anything about his personality. The only change was he becaus ea little more affectionate. Tal never has been a real snuggle dog but he has always been affectionate and just a good all around temperament.

Do not feel bad, or like you are a bad mommy. Like your DH, I also wondered if he would "notice" and it made me cringe knowing what I was about to have done to him. But seeing so many unwanted puppies, and not wanting to deal with Tal around an unaltered female in season. I knoew it was the right thing to do.

When I picked him up that afternoon, he was alot more alert than I expected. The vet told me what I needed to do and when I got him in the car, he started to snooze. When we got home he would be looking out the door as he likes to do and would almost fall asleep. He would also cry, because he did not know what was the matter. I put him in his crate thinking he would be safe in there and he just started crying. So I let him out and he hopped in the bed with me. One pet to his head and he dozed right off.

Actually the hardest part for me was before we left for the vet that morning. I have never failed to feed him in the morning and he kept standing by his bowl looking at me like why wont you feed me? dont you love me anymore?

Also, by the next day Tal was a little sedate for him but noticeably more energetic and by the second day you would never know he had been under anesthesia.

Frankie will be fine and keep us updated. Good thoughts and prayers for him! He'll be back to himself in no time.

We have had 3 dogs neutered fairly recently. 2 female and 1 male.

Molly was done on an emergency basis because she got pyo and was very ill and we almost lost her.
    Shadow- Shadow had a bit of a problem waking up from the anesthesia and needed to be held in a rocking chair and rocked....the vet paid his 13 year old niece to sit with him all night long and rock him. Needless to say I was so appreciative and gave the kid a nice big tip. Once he did fully WAKE UP, he was fine. Back to normal within 3-4 days.

Emma- was jumping on me the day I picked her up : She was a problem only in that we had to keep her quiet which was tough. She wanted to swim retrieve, etc the 3rd day out. She was totally herself on Day 3. The first 2 days she would lie down and take naps, which she never does. So, I knew she was feeling it somewhat. She was on Rimadyl for 3 days and then nothing. She didnt need anything. We kept her on leash walks for 10 days and no rought housing with Aidan for a week. She bounced right back, Amy.

Your boy is healthy, and in good shape. I think the first 2-3 days you'll see he just wants to veg, and then Day 3 they are back to normal. Stuffed Kongs and marrow bones- have them ready ahead of time to help you keep him quiet.

None of ours ever messed with their incisions or licked at them. We would say "Leave it" and they did. So we did not need any Eliz collars. To this day, if you say " Awwww, Emma has a boo boo!" She wil roll on her back and show you her boo boo lol.

Good luck! We will be here with you to help you get through it. I didnt think I would be nervous at ALL but the morning I took Emma, I fell apart on the way home, worrying about her. They call you as soon as your dog is finished and tell you how it went so it shouldn't be too long before you hear how he did.

Amy, for what it's worth, here was our experience....

I didn't worry at all (does that make me awful?). We had the option of doing (I may have forgotten exactly what it's called) a full panel on Tucker before neutering. A full workup showing his liver, kidney, etc. levels. It can also alert the vet to possible protential problems of surgery, before having it done. The panel is part of his permanent record, and is used in the future, if any health problems arise, to show what's 'normal' for him....we opted to have it done. It was done on the morning of the surgery, when I left him there.

I dropped him off about 8:00 am. They called early afternoon, and I picked him up about 3:30....he was awake and getting lots of attention from the gals there. The vet talked to me, told me everything was fine.

Tucker didn't have external stitches, so didn't need to wear a collar afterward. The stitches were all internal, and dissolved inside on their own. He just had a small external incision, and didn't bother nor lick it at all.

He was sent home with pain meds for 2 days. That first evening, he was still groggy, and whined and cried quite a bit. I'm told that's normal when coming out of anesthesia. He laid and slept most of the evening; we just made sure he was warm, and kept out of any draft on the floor.

He had to take it easy for 10 days...the first few days, onleash out to potty; not much else. No running, no stairs, etc. for the 10 days (he didn't quite make it that long...he was running a bit before that; that was the hardest part..trying to keep him from much activity). I, too, took the next day off work to stay at home with him. That morning, after surgery, he was a bit more quiet than usual, but was fine, and back to himself by that evening.

The only surprise of that day was the vet calling before surgery.......she was making a handout pamphlet for the clinic, to show each step of surgery on dogs, what's involved pre-op, during, and post-op...and asked if we'd give permission to have Tucker photographed during it all. She liked his looks, and he'd show up well on photos. So Tucker's the model on all the pamphlets. She sent us photos before it was printed, and there he is.....exam, prep, IV inserted, unconscious on the table during the procedure, couple of shots during procedure, wrapped in a nice warm blankie sleeping in the crate afterward, etc......all of it. So we tell people he's a star......we just don't mention why. ;D

He was swollen some in that area, but it went down, and eventually shriveled and disappeared.

There were, and have been, no changes to his temperament, personality....nothing.

I doubt if Frankie's gonna be pissed at ya......maybe your hub's having 'sympathy' nervousness. ;D ;D

Everything went great, no problems.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Kona was sleepy that night and was ready to go the next day. I resumed training (obedience) the next Weds. His surgery was on a Friday. The biggest change for him was realizing that I was at the other end of the leash and the floor didn't seem as interesting!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Thanks guys, I'm feeling a bit better already.

I asked about this last wed a few pages ago(for more answers) cause my boy went in this past thursday, so i'm going through it right now.

I dropped him off at 8, and picked him up at 5. Normally vet keeps them overnight, but they don't have anyone there, so i asked to take him home.
    He fell asleep standing up in the car. He whined off and on that evening but slept most of the time.

Day 1 - Pretty low key, not sure what was wrong. Would want to go in and out all the time, and couldn't really settle down. Had a bout of ROCKET PROPELLED EXPLOSIVE diarrhea. Thank god he was outside. shot 3 feet out behind him and kept coming and coming. Turned out he had some 'stress collitis' or something from the surgery/anesthesia. Keep an eye on them...

Day 2 - Here when it got pretty hard, it's been raining here the whole time, so it's muddy and wet, and he can't lay outside.. He's getting frustrated not being able to play all his games, and his parents are boring him... He's started to butt tuck around like crazy in his frustration, and breaks free as soon as you try to put him in his crate to get some rest, and jumps up and down off bed in butt tucking frenzy

Day 3 - More of the same lab shenanigans. he's bored, and is intent on making dad's day's miserable with wanting to go in and out, in and out. Butt tucks repeatedly around the sectional couch in circles

all in all, same crazy lab.

boonesmom Guest

boone went in in the morning and came home that afternoon. we were expecting (and kind of hoping) that he would be kinda drugged up so we could have 1 night of peace and quiet. no such luck--we went to pick him up at the vets and when the tech brought him out she said "boy, he has a lot of energy !!!" it was like he had spent the day at the spa--no whining, no drowsiness-nothing. he recovered with out any problems.

keep us posted on thursday and i will keep frankie in my thoughts and prayers. i am sure everything will be just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast