Question about eating habbits

Thread: Question about eating habbits

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about eating habbits

This was probably covered over and over again but I am going to post it anyway. My chocolate lab is 1 year and 8 months old. He always ate pretty good, and in the past couple of weeks his eating habbits changed. I put his food in the bowl at breakfast and dinner time and he now either takes a loooong time to decide to eat, then he eats a bit, walks away, comes back for a bit etc. and most of the time he leaves some food in his bowl. Other than that he's ok. No change in his activity level or anything else. He does have an appettie for everything else of course, treats or human food. I have heard that around the age of 2 dogs' eating habbits may change. Is that true? And is it normal? Sorry about all the questions but I am learning as we go here... He's my first dog and this website is just fantastic for answers! Thanks!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question about eating habbits

I would try a new bag of food. Kibble does go bad and with all the food recalls I would trust my dogs nose which is much more sensitive then our and replace it.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Also, you mention "people food". Some dogs, once they get a taste of people food, don't want kibble anymore.

Melissa

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Introduce some meat to his diet and his appetite may change

amazongold is offline Senior Member

How much are you feeding him? How much people food and treats does he get? Maybe he is just getting too much goodies and he's decided the kibble isn't to his liking. Or, he just doesn't need as much food any more.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Thanks for the replies. Saba doesn't get a lot of treats, just the occasional one. As for human food, he gets a tiny piece of plane black forest ham in the morning and evening (and I mean like a square inch or so), because he has to take his pills (he's hypo thyroid) and that's that only way he'll take them. Otherwise he perfected the art of picking them out and spitting them all over the place... This happened when I opened 2 different bags of food, so I guess maybe he's just getting picky? According to the feeding guidelines and his weight, he should be getting about 4 to 4.5 cups of food a day. So I now decided to cut that in half and see if he'll get hungry. Plus once I put the food out, he has one hour to eat it after that, good bye. He'll have to learn. But his activity level is good and he's just as goofy as ever, and I asked the vet about it and he said that some times labs just get picky or slow down with the eating from time to time. We'll just have to wait and see...

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Hi Saba!! Hi Agnes!!

Just to let you know, with the warm weather we've been having both Yeller and Abby have been approaching meal times differently, almost the exact same as Saba. They both wait a bit before eating, and Yeller in particular leaves quite a bit of her kibble in her bowl. When it was really hot last week, she didn't even eat her dinner til closer to 10 at night, when I think she got cooled down finally.

Hope that helps you feel better.

Oh ya, did your mom tell you she brought Abby home the other day? The little tart squeezed out of the gate (I was out back cleaning their pool, and while the gate was shut, it wasn't locked) and she went out front to play with the kids on the street! Thankfully your mom and Saba were walking by and when I noticed she was missing, I went out front to find her and there was your mom with the brat! So thank your mom again for me please!!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Hi Karina! That does make me feel better, thanks. I keep the A/C on at home when it's this hot but I guess he still feels the heat.
    Yeah, I heard she decided to explore the neighbourhood! lolol... Thank Goodness my mom saw her! We'll have to get the doggies to play again some time soon. I think Saba misses his friends..

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

When Zoe was that age, she was getting just 1-1/4 cup in the a.m. and 1-1/4 cup in the p.m. She is now 4 and still gets the same amount.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[