URG: Prayers Needed for Tucker - 1ST NIGHT HOME/VET VISIT UPDATE!
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: URG: Prayers Needed for Tucker - 1ST NIGHT HOME/VET VISIT UPDATE!

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultURG: Prayers Needed for Tucker - 1ST NIGHT HOME/VET VISIT UPDATE!

Hi!
    Thanks again for your continued thoughts and prayers for Tucker - he is definitely coming around. Some of you asked about his first night - it went well, as soon as he got home he drank a litre of water, went for a huge pee and passed out. At bedtime Tucker was pretty restless and flopped around a lot but I am sure it was because of his bandaged mitt - it was uncomfortable for him. Of course, every so often we would be up listening for any changes to his breathing - eventually the paranoia will go away. I am really glad that we decided to bring him home, as Tuck mentioned ( ) he hates the vet and the thought of him being aware of his surroundings and stuck at that vet overnight ... well I am sure it would have been a bit traumatizing for him. I was extremely worried that his temperment would have changed but I am happy to report that he is back to being our big loving, tail-thumping, mush. Thank goodness for that. I now know that dogs seizing can often exhibit aggressive behaviour that is not inline with their day to day personalities.

The vet is still unsure as to the cause of the seizure. We found a very old, mouldy piece of roast beef in the backyard that he may have been eating (we don't know where it came from as I don't eat beef so we don't get a roast for just hubby) ... but that is the only thing that is out of the ordinary and perhaps it was toxic. Tucker has never countersurfed, never eaten from the garbage. We've accidentally left a slice of pizza on the downstairs coffee table overnight and it was still there in the morning.

Soooo ... one of two diagnosis 1) toxicity from something he injested 2) epliepsy - but they won't give meds until he has a second seizure :-\
    The last worrisome news - the vet noticed an anomaly in Tucker's breathing and so did some chest xrays. He apparently has lower airway inflammation on both sides of his lungs. The vet said that it is something that is seen in dogs who have suffered electroshock - as you can imagine I basically screamed WHAT?!??!?!!? but he indicted that it was just an example. The likelihood is that it is a result of him seizing for upwards of 7 hours and if that is the case, it will heal on its own BUT just to be safe, the xray has been sent to a local radiologist.

Hopefully this is my last update on this terrifying weekend. Steve said that he has cried enough for two years - lol.
    Now you just have to suffer through endless shots of Tucker swimming and dock-jumping

I have said it numerous times but THANK YOU for your support, concern, prayers, PM's and good thoughts - Steve and I got so much strength from them. You are an unbelievable group of individuals.

Pauline/Steve and Tucker

************************************************** ************************************************** **************
    IT IS A JL MIRACLE! The vet just called, Tucker IS GOING TO BE COMING HOME!! I am still crying, but it is now tears of joy. 6pm last night we were given the grim choice of spending a lot of money to keep him here with no guarantee that he would make it through the night, or to make the 'other' decision (I can't even type it). Tucker fought back and although this morning still looked bleak ... he pulled through. The vet said that his breathing is a bit funny and he is a bit wobbly but he is attributing it to all of the drugs he'd been pumped with. We were given the choice of taking him home tonight or sending him back to the emergency vets for monitoring - we just want our boy home so we are going to get him and watch him closely, the vet is also going to keep the IV in and tape it over so that if we need to rush him in tonight he is good to go. The vet still has NO idea what caused this massive seizure and they cannot assume it is epilepsy until he has a second seizure :-\

We are so emotionally and physically drained but so excited that we will be with him soon - this has been the scariest experience either one of us has ever dealt with.

Steve and I cannot thank all of you enough for your positive thoughts, prayers and PM's - they gave us so much strength. We had JL open as we sat awake all night and we read and re-read your kind words, crying together and praying for the boy. Many of you have been through similar scary situations and come through - those stories gave us hope. Thank you thank you thank you - I am honoured to be part of such a selfless and remarkable group of people.

WOO HOO!!!!

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************
    Second Monday Update: 9:35 am - We went to the Emergency Vets and though I knew Tucker was getting transported to our usual vet, I didn't realize that we would be doing the transporting. That was hard - our lively, loving boy just laying there with his cone and tubes coming out of him - they were giving him more fluids and more of a drug to ensure that he didn't seize on the way over. My BIL came and drove, so I was able to sit in the back and stroke him and talk to him. When we reached the vet, my husband went into the building to get a stretcher and Tucker attempted to sit up - he was of course completely disoriented but he was really trying to sit up. Tucker, in his dazed state, reacted to his own name and licked my BIL, Steve and myself, so that gave me more hope. The vet said that he is really too doped up right now to do anything with him and he wants to wait until the drugs begin flushing out of his system before he can make a true diagnosis. The vet is going to do a test on his liver which will reveal if it was a toxic substance that caused it and how his liver is processing all of the drugs he was given. Two thoughts at this point: If he gets through this he is likely eplileptic, if he does not improve then it may be neurological. I am feeling much more positive although we are not in the clear just yet. We will call at noon and check in.

Steve and I continue to be touched and humbled by all of your support. If and when he makes it through it will be because of all of the positive energy and prayers you are sending.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************
    UPDATED: Monday morning 5am - Tucker has been taken off the breathing tube and they are weaning him off the meds but they still have no idea what caused the massive seizure(s) or how he will be affected when he wakes up from his medical-induced coma. We are able to go back to the emergency vets at 8:30 am so we are sitting anxiously and restlessly until that time. Your words of support and encouragement have been phenomenal and we are getting so much strength from them. Thank you again - you are all amazing. /Pauline and Steve

I am completely distraught right now. This afternoon, after a post-walk snooze, Tucker tried to get up from his nap and fell over. Tuck tried to get up again and couldn't - his body began shaking and he looked terrifed. We immediately got into the car where I sat in the back and tried to soothe my scared and shaking dog. We proceeded to the emergency vet and he was taken back to the doctor right away. A half hour later we were ushered into a room with the doctor. It doesn't look good. Tucker apparently was having a horrible seizure that proceeded to get worse - the doctor indicated that they had given him enough drugs to sedate a horse but he was thrashing still. His temperature was high and the doctor said that he was at risk for brain damage and organ shut down. The vet also indicated that he was trying to bite them - this was so shocking, our sweet, demure, submissive, mush was reacting so badly to what was happening to him. The vet said that she has never seen anything like it. She is thinking that he got into something but he has been with us all day and we can't even fathom what that might have been - we have no pesticides, rodentcides, windshield washer ... nothing.

Our two options given, at that point were : 1) anestitize him for the evening and they will watch him or 2) put him down. I was beside myself. Of course we opted to keep him there and will look for some way to pay. Tommorrow he will be taken to his own vet and will be assessed.

This is a 2.5 year old boy who is the light of our lives, he has been a perfect angel since the day we brought him home. I cannot stop crying. Please please please send some good thoughts and prayers our way. We still need him around.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: URG: Prayers Needed for Tucker

Oh no, Pauline!! Poor Tucker!

Prayers and good thoughts incoming for him and you.

If there's anything I can do, just let me know, K?

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Oh..... sending lots of good thoughts and powerful prayers to Tucker !!! I'll be thinking of him all night....... please keep us posted......

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Oh My God!! Very fervent prayers and wishes for Tucker's recovery...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry. Could he have gotten overheated on your walk. Sounds like heat stroke to me. I'll keep all of you in my prayers. Please update us if you hear anything. God bless.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Scout and friends Guest

I'm so sorry. This hits so close to home for me. Thoughts, prayers, and I'll watch for updates.

Dear God...please help Tucker.

I'm so sorry Pauline. Sending tons of prayers to get Tucker through this.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

O.k Tucker time to fight the fight! Our thoughts for strenght and a good outcome are on there way! I am so sorry this is happening!

Healing prayers going up for Tucker, and prayers for strength for you. Keep fighting Tucker!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Prayers going out for Tucker.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast