Merlot is getting too skinny, might have to increase to 6 cups again

Thread: Merlot is getting too skinny, might have to increase to 6 cups again

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultMerlot is getting too skinny, might have to increase to 6 cups again

I was feeding him 6 cups of Purna Hi-pro, and most of you told me I could feed him less if I upped the quality of the dog food. So, two months ago I switched him to 4 cups a day of Eagle Pack Super Premium Dog, usually lamb and rice plus a can of green beans every other day. I also quit feeding him the gallon of ice cream a week he was eating. Now I think he is too skinny, his head looks too big for his body, IMO. He still is hyper active and only sleeps 4 or 5 hours a night, and doesn't take naps if I'm around. Zoey is eating only 3 cups, and she is getting fat. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Merlot is getting too skinny, might have to increase to 6 cups again

I have a super skinny guy here too. I feed him 6-7 cups a day and he still feels ribby. I can feed gordy 2-3 cups same food and he is a chunk. lol

How much does he weigh and how old is he?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Merlot_1 Guest

He is 18 months and weighs 72 lbs

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I prefer my dogs to be lean..... I don't think he looks that skinny in that pic..... he's still young ...... and it's better for their joints to not be overweight. If he were mine, I don't think I would worry unless he KEEPS losing weight.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

amazongold is offline Senior Member

He looks like Buddy, with the head and feet too big for the body. Try adding an extra half-cup to each feeding, instead of a full cup, for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering if there a bitch in heat somewhere close...he'll lose weight if he has picked up on that too...since he's not neutered.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Merlot_1 Guest

It might be possible, Dani, but even though he is not neutered, he never trys to hump Zoey, or us. He use to when he was a pup, but stopped about 8 months ago. Zoey is spade, and she is always mounting him? He just stands there and yawns, until she gets bored with it after about 40 seconds. I would think it would be the other way around, but I think she is trying to dominate him, as they are both the same age.