The Dynamics of a Counter Surfer (? for countersurfing dogs)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dynamics of a Counter Surfer (? for countersurfing dogs)

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Dynamics of a Counter Surfer (? for countersurfing dogs)

okay, not to brag but Zoe is not a counter surfer, but yesterday, she gave me reason that she may have potential. Oh lah. she's 4-1/2 yrs old and never countersurfed since she was 4 months old

2 days ago, I took out a knucklebone and she had the gumption to do a hop to the counter. (hops, as well as jumps, are not allowed, and she so knows this) I believe if I left that bone on the counter and went to use the bathroom, she would have gotten it.

I'm wondering if your countersurfer does it only when you are away;
    when you are at home but not watching;
    any old time if there's something that smells really great on that counter

We have bread, chips, nuts, etc. as well as all her dog treats up there. She has never bothered them before. Do they get into countersurfing later on in life even if they never had before?

wondering.... tia
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The Dynamics of a Counter Surfer (? for countersurfing dogs)

My only surfer is Flynn. He does not care if you are there, he does not care if you are not there. He does not care if goodies are properly safeguarded or left out for temptation. When he wants to fish around, he is going to fish around. Period.

Very bad dog. Very bad boy, indeed. *snargle*

Seamus and Flynn

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Jazzy does not counter surf. Jake does, but only if I'm not around. I can leave very tasty items on the counter and as long as I'm home, they are safe. But, let me walk out the door and he scarfs them up before the door shuts!

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

oh lah, Flynn. Does Mommy feed you?

Zoe's pal, Lady, only surfs when Lorena goes to the bathroom and leaves her toast on the counter. When she returns, her toast is ..toast.

Needless to say, the toast is now put on the toaster oven where she can't reach it.

Funny, tho...when we have our doggie parties here, the 2 counter surfers do not surf. go figure, and we have tons of food all over the place.
    ???
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Ellie does it when we are in the other room. We eat in our Florida room. When we cook dinner, we have to put the pots/pans with the leftovers inside the microwave until we can clean them up.

When we first got her, she would do it all the time, right in front of us. She has improved - now she only does it when she thinks we are not looking.

So it does get better, but I don't think it is something that I am going to be able to cure completely. You have to look on the bright side. My kitchen is always clean!!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Shadow never countersurfed - I could leave food on the coffee table and she wouldn't touch it, until she was on Prednisone. Then she stole a mini container of garlic butter dip off the end table between our chairs.

Buddy, however, is a registered counter surfer. :-\ He is one of Shanny's legions, and has even tipped over my purse (on the counter) and stolen my Chapstick. He just waits until you are out of the room, the little stinker.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Bess filched any food from anywhere as soon as your head was turned away. Her jaws were faster than a blink of an eye.

Puff has never filched or counter-surfed anything.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

risingphoenix is offline Member

We walked into our kitchen last week and witnessed our 4 month old doing this- she was so brazen we had time to snap this first pic of her- the second pic is when we informed her this was not acceptable behavior and a big "no-no" (do you see any apologetic look in her eye- funny- me neither :

Henery will pop up on the counters on occasion to see what's up there. As a result, my counters are pretty bare!

His last countersurfing score was his birthday cupcakes last year (left cooling on the counter on a rack; I was vacuuming at the time) and 6 months before that, he stole a container of pasta and red sauce off the counter (I was entertaining friends and not paying attention to him) and proceeded to enjoy it on the cream-coloured carpet.

I can, however, leave my dinner on the coffee table, tell him to "leave it!" and he will... drooling puddles, but he will.

For Henery, I know it's not a matter of trying to get food per se (he has been known to steal dishtowels) but it's for attention. Whenever he acts up, it's for attention. So, to answer your question, I doubt that he would surf when I wasn't home. In fact, I've left bananas (his favourite) on the counter in the shallow fruit bowl and he has never touched them.

I thought that I didnt have any counter surfers, but Emma showed me I was wrong the other night when she ate the frozen ground turkey I had left out to defrost for tacos that night. It was 1 lb and solid as a brick. I actually checked her teeth to make sure she didnt break any. I had been outside with Aidan in the pool and she got the munchies I guess :
    She will not dare do it if anyone is around and Aidan has not counter surfed...yet anyway I have learned to never say never

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast