NEED LOW COST SUGGESTIONS TO KEEP LAB YOUNG AND HEALTHY!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED LOW COST SUGGESTIONS TO KEEP LAB YOUNG AND HEALTHY!

CRAZYDAISYSMOM is offline Junior Member

DefaultNEED LOW COST SUGGESTIONS TO KEEP LAB YOUNG AND HEALTHY!

Daisy is about to turn 7 in August. Maybe it's because my mom just lost her beloved Schnauzer, but I have suddenly started to notice Daisy is getting older. She's still hyper as can be, carries her frisbee or ball everywhere and has kept her chow-hound eating habits intact. But she's sleeping more (I realize that happens with age), and it seems there is a small bit of cloudiness to her eyes. I assume it's the early stages of cataracts, and other people don't see it even when I point it out. However, I want to do all I can to keep her healthy. I need to get some suggestions for the best food and/or vitamins within a reasonable price range. I wish I could afford Nutro or Eukanuba, but I just can't (God Bless student loans! :-) There's got to be generic vitamins or a great dog food that doesn't cost $30-$40 a bag. She's the love of my life and any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NEED LOW COST SUGGESTIONS TO KEEP LAB YOUNG AND HEALTHY!

Well, a "quality' diet, all the water he/she wants, and plenty of exercise !! There are SO many dog foods available .... I live in the sticks so I don't have the large pet stores to get my dog food from. I pay $33 a 35 lb. bag, for Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. I don't have all the choices available that the larger cities do. I'm sure someone on here can recommend a cheaper but still a good quality food.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

imported_Ninemiler is offline Senior Member

I suggest keeping her weight in check and lots of exercise and loving! Those daily hikes and game sessions can be a hassle, but they keep the kids young and alert. My older dog gets a canine daily vitamin (Synovia G3), and I also toss in a tablet of salmon oil and Glucosomine Chondoitin for her joints.

I really think exercise and mental stimulation are important...for both of us!
    <br /><br />&quot;My little dog -- a heartbeat at my feet.&quot;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; --Edith Wharton

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think two of the BEST values for highest quality at lowest (or any) price are:

Kirkland C&R (or L&R) sold only at Costco (warehouse membership club) $16/40 lb. bag

OR

"Diamond Naturals" sold by feed store dealers and some pet stores, about $19/40 lbs bag.

The company that makes Diamond also supplies Costco the Kirkland. While the formulas are not identical, they are similar. Since the intro of "Diamond Naturals," the previous high level "Diamond" has been downgraded to a lower quality and now contains more cereal grains.

For Diamond Natural dealer locations, see:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

(Diamond does not advertise, depending on word of mouth to spread the word. The same company that makes Diamond also makes "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's")
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Often high quality foods are cheaper to feed even if they cost more because you feed less of them. You can compare the calorie content of the food you are feeding now to the high quality foods and then compare cost per calorie. It takes a little math and research but you might as well use the education you paid for to your benifit.
    Also keeping your lab skinny can definately increase life span and save you money in food bills. You should see a definate waist in your lab when looking down from the top. Also you should see a tuck up when looking at your lab directly from the side such as when he is up on a table so you get a good side view. Labs are notorious for being overweight because that is how they are "supposed" to look.
    Also swimming is an excellent form of exercise for labs.
    And don't forget teaching new things and tricks and exercises to your lab. Its good to have your lab thinking and it can be quite fun for you too.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I think two of the BEST values for highest quality at lowest (or any) price are:

Kirkland C&R (or L&R) sold only at Costco (warehouse membership club) $16/40 lb. bag

OR

"Diamond Naturals" sold by feed store dealers and some pet stores, about $19/40 lbs bag.

The company that makes Diamond also supplies Costco the Kirkland. While the formulas are not identical, they are similar. Since the intro of "Diamond Naturals," the previous high level "Diamond" has been downgraded to a lower quality and now contains more cereal grains.

For Diamond Natural dealer locations, see:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

(Diamond does not advertise, depending on word of mouth to spread the word. The same company that makes Diamond also makes "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's")
    Don't want to hi jack this thread, but have been wondering, for those that feed diamond natural or kirkland premium c/r or l/r are you worried since they are starting to pull some of their products. I'm actually thinking of going full raw and just not dealing with it for awhile. Oh yeah should say I am currently feeding Sammi Diamond natural chicken and rice, she loves it and I have had no problems. However I am starting to worry!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Kelli...I am not worried about Diamond pulling some products. I believe the plant that manufactures the stuff that gets shipped here does not make food for other companies.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

CRAZYDAISYSMOM is offline Junior Member

Thanks to all of you for the great tips! Daisy has probably put on a few pounds since we left Manhattan for Texas a few years ago. It's sad to say, but the heat here makes it hard to get motivated to go for long walks. We play ball quite a bit with the Chuck It....frisbee, too, and she's worn out. However, I need to find other places to take her. I think she weighs about 75 pounds- what's the target weight for female labs? I will also keep an eye on her waistline. She's SUCH an eater- I measure her food, but she does a great job at convincing me she's starving! (Does any one else's lab drool profusely at the sight or smell of food?)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDAISYSMOM
    Thanks to all of you for the great tips! Daisy has probably put on a few pounds since we left Manhattan for Texas a few years ago. It's sad to say, but the heat here makes it hard to get motivated to go for long walks. We play ball quite a bit with the Chuck It....frisbee, too, and she's worn out. However, I need to find other places to take her. I think she weighs about 75 pounds- what's the target weight for female labs? I will also keep an eye on her waistline. She's SUCH an eater- I measure her food, but she does a great job at convincing me she's starving! (Does any one else's lab drool profusely at the sight or smell of food?)
    Its best to look at mom and dad for size- wt. can very greatly, others know better then I, but Sammi's mom weighs about 65lb.s and this is pretty close to Sammis size at age 16 months. You really do not want them to get heavy, it is just to hard on their joints, lean is best! Yes most labs are drool manics and will always try to convince you that they are starving. Rare is the self feeder -

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

One other thing you can do to help your lab feel full is to add some canned pumpkin to the meal(s) or green beans. The waist visual and tuck-up are some of the best ways of seeing if your lab is overweight. You can also check with a vet, just tell the vet you want a good lean body weight. I can't tell you an exact weight without seeing the lab in person...
    Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast