No Kill Shelter in Houston?

Thread: No Kill Shelter in Houston?

DefaultNo Kill Shelter in Houston?

Does anyone know of a no kill shelter in the Houston Texas area? My sister's husband found a cat and they can't keep it but they don't want it to go to a shelter that will kill those not adopted.

Thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: No Kill Shelter in Houston?

good luck.
    The number of cats found in shelters can be more than triple the number of dogs, so they're euthanization rate is far greater due to far less demand for them.

Dani is offline Senior Member

houston SPCA?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The Citizens for Animal Protection use to be a non-kill shelter but apparently they too became so overwhelmed it became an unfortunate reality. I did locate this link but I don't know if they are still in existence. The do say they are a non-kill organization:
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx6/rescue/

I live in Houston and ALL of our shelters are kill shelters. Citizens for Animal Protection (www.cap4pets.org) has a weekend program where you keep the cat (or dog) during the week and it hangs out at the shelter on the weekend because that's when they get most of their traffic. But they're a kill shelter too. Houston SPCA has the best adoption rates of the local shelters BUT if they deem the animal to be unadoptable or hard to adopt (ex. if the cat has FIV, any other contagious disease, will need some type of medical procedure, they have too many cats etc.) they generally ship animals off to one of the other shelters to be euthanized to keep their numbers looking good. Best shot would be CAP's weekend program followed by SPCA, but odds are not good at any of the Houston shelters. Any of the other Houston shelters would really be low odds of the cat getting adopted. If he ends up taking the cat to a shelter make sure to tell the shelter folks that the cat is a stray (found cat) and not an owner surrender - make sure that they list the cat this way. If a cat was found and kept by someone for a few days, some of the shelters categorize that cat as an owner surrender rather than a stray. Strays get 72 hours (stray hold period which is supposed to give time for redemption) before being euthanized, but owner turn ins can get put down immediately (and usually are). The cat may also have better luck if you have it tested for FIV, spayed, and vaccinated. If the cat has FIV, her chances anywhere are slim to none. Sorry for the bad news.

I don't know about this organization in particular, but I do know that the vast majority of supposed "no-kill shelters" in the Houston area are in deplorable condition. A lot of them don't have money for food and medical treatment and the animals live in a really pathetic situation and would probably be better off euthanized. Many of them are just fronts for animal hoarders - sad but true.