labradoodle in our class

Thread: labradoodle in our class

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Defaultlabradoodle in our class

There are only three dogs in our class - our Buddy; a gorgeous, champagne-blonde Golden Retriever named Abby; and a black labradoodle named Gus, I think. Doofiest-looking dog I have seen in a loooong time! : He's also the hardest to work with.

The trainer was impressed with all three dogs, said they were too good and not making enough errors to be corrected for. He said they won't learn what not to do if they don't do it and get a correction. I'm sure I'm not explaining it right, but I understood what he meant when he explained it.

Buddy and Abby both got an A+, doofus got a C, and I got an F in grace and agility. :-[ When we were doing 'heel' in a square, Buddy crossed in front of me and I tried to avoid stepping on his toes. First I tried to side-step, then I tried to step over Buddy, and the moccasins I was wearing (yeah, I know, dumb choice!) stuck on the carpet squares and I went down on both knees. :-\ As graceful as the bird we call the elephant, that's me! Today they are both swollen and the bruising has started, right where I still have scarring from the infamous infection I got in Mexico. I don't think I will ever be able to wear shorts again! :
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: labradoodle in our class

LOL..I WAS the clumsiest one in Dakota's class..aaaarrghh. I got my circles wrong..directions wrong..I was the one needing training..I feel for you. I hope your injury doesn't get too bad..and heals soon.
    We have a Labradoodle in doggy play time..he's a nut job..never stops running, playing. Kinda cute but doofless too. Not that he's a bad dog..just crazy and very playful.
    Jackie

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Every Doodle I've ever encountered in class has been as dumb as a hammer. Every one.

Stepping on Buddy's toes: We teach handlers to go ahead and step on them. And then issue a reminder that it's because the dog wasn't in the right place. After nipping the piddies once, often a "Watch me! Pay attention" will ensure it doesn't happen again! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

That's exactly what Frank told me, Dan. Step on his toes and he'll make sure they're not under your feet again! I will next time, because these dang knees hurt!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I had 2 labradoodles in Moose's first obedience class and the small one wasn't too cute, but smart as a whip. The larger one was kind of cute and did quite well also.

I really think it just depends on the dog and the real mix not becuase it is a labradoodle.

Hope your knees heel - I've definately been there, done that
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Felix Guest

I dont like the labradoodle :

We had one in our last class. He was a bright little guy (a rescue pup) and seemed to have a nice temperament. While I'm not at all keen on the cross looks-wise, their individual temperaments I'm sure vary a great deal. This little fellow looked pretty much like a small standard poodle once they gave him a poodle clip. Having had both poodles and Labs I wouldn't say his temperament was really typical of either.

Jackie lol...you poor thing. Ice those knees!

We were told the same as you were. Step on the toes and they will learn to scootch over a bit :