Lab-proof water bowls? Advice sought
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab-proof water bowls? Advice sought

DefaultLab-proof water bowls? Advice sought

Violet has a new 'trick' since the weather's warm.

When she stays outside during the day for a few hours (and yes, she has plenty of shade and trees and grass and whatnot), I'm finding her bowls moved around, and bone dry. Today I must have left her nearly 3 quarts, in 2 different bowls, and both were empty and several feet from where I left them... so I suspect she's playing with them instead of drinking. I have never SEEN her do this with her stainless bowls, but I have seen her empty plastic ones repeatedly and prance around with them in her mouth ;D and she does LOVE to play with water when it's warm.

I'm sure I can't be the first lab-Mom to have this problem...anybody found a solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab-proof water bowls? Advice sought

Quote Originally Posted by VioletsFolks

...anybody found a solution?
    Either heavy, ceramic bowls or buckets should do the trick. With buckets, you might want to hang them on a tree, post, etc so they don't get knocked over, tho.

When we had our Max, he spent a lot of time outside and hubby decided to make a small table for Max's dishes. The water dish was wired to it and his food dish (we used one of those heavy rubber bowls usually seen for horses) was screwed down. Wasn't the best looking but Max finally quit trying to tear them off. That was 9.5 years ago and we've learned a lot since then.

With my girls now we haven't had to much of that yet. Madison did empty her outside water bowl and toss it around the yard a couple of times but nothing since we got Sarah. She also went through a faze where she couldn't keep her paws out of her indoor water dish, lol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

During the day we have anywhere from 3 to 8 dogs outside in the yard atleast 2 of which like to put there front paws in while they drink so we decided to get a baby pool. Every since we got one of those the water bowl is for drinking and the pool is for wading and drinking as well : but the don't knock he bowl over anymore.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I wonder if a spill-proof bowl would work?
    http://www.amazon.com/Great-American.../dp/B0002768DY

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Hmm...

I was thinking about maybe the no-tip stainless bowls. The spillproof one looks like plastic...she'd carry that off for sure. She LOVES plastic things. (Sigh... she laments the loss of many a potted plant in plastic pots )

Baby pool not a bad idea, but I didn't really want it out ALL summer. And it, too, falls under the domain of "plastic things" which means she would likely haul it around the yard if she ever had it empty. Trust me, my pooch will work VERY HARD to get something plastic to run thru the yard with like a maniac!

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Sam doesn't bother her ceramic bowl in the house, but at the dog park she will play in the stainless bowls that are sometimes present and full of water. She also has a baby pool that is sometimes filled with water. It no longer holds water for very long as Sam likes to dig in the water, especially while you are filling the pool. Sam loves to be sprayed by the hose. The other day she tried pulling it out for her self, but got in trouble because we don't want anymore holes in the hose.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have the buddy bowl and it works great but can easily be chewed. I would get a large stainless or heavy duty horse bucket and attach it to something.

http://www.horse.com/products/gift-0__sku-BSF52.html
    Kim

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

This might totally defeat your post here, but if your dog is using her water bowls as pseudo swimming pools, do what I did. I bought the girls their own pool. They now lie in there instead of trying to climb into the water buckets when they are hot.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

c17wife is offline Senior Member

I just bought one of those big 5gal paint buckets from Home Depot. If you keep it filled up he wont be able to carry it around. I also bought one of those cheapie plastic kiddie pools for the back yard too. The kids know that it's only for the dogs and they're not allowed in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast