Need to vent on breeding ......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to vent on breeding ......

DefaultNeed to vent on breeding ......

I'm SO tired of people that think just because you have a female, you should breed her. NOOOO!!! We have had a couple of people think we should breed Madison when she gets older.. "because she's such a pretty color" > Well, to late. She's spayed! Sarah will also be spayed when she's old enough. I just talked earlier today with a lady that's a friend of hubby's family and told her that originally we had read up on breeding labs and it didn't take long to make the "NO" decision. She said that she bred her dog a few times and out of 10 pups only had 1 that was born with problems.... it was also a small poodle. She was making me feel like I should just let my girls have pups.....even if it's mixed with something. For one, we're so not even ready to go through that, financially, space, etc. And two.... I'm not going to bring a bunch of puppies into the world when there's already so many out there to adopt as it is. Yes, Madison is AKC but I've never sent in her registration... because it just doesn't matter. Why does doing the right thing make you feel like your crazy?? :

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need to vent on breeding ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Mom
    She said that she bred her dog a few times and out of 10 pups only had 1 that was born with problems.... it was also a small poodle.
    That's 10%...way too high of odds for me. I'm sure that one pup didn't matter to her but I'm sure the pup felt differently.

I get that alot too it frustrates me but I try to just shrug it off. I'll also tell people I volenteer at the Humane Society and see all the pups there and don't want to add to the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

"because she's such a pretty color"
    Yes, that's the BEST reason to breed your dog. :

I think doing the right thing makes us feel crazy because we seem to be a minority. It boggles the mind how many dog owners think their dog should be bred, with no consideration for the pet overpopulation or health concerns. I just don't get it.

I'm with you...it's maddening!

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    That's 10%...way too high of odds for me. I'm sure that one pup didn't matter to her but I'm sure the pup felt differently.
    I feel the same way. She said the pup was born with neck displacia and had to be put down at 4 yrs old...her friend had the dog and to do surgery was $2,000 with no gurantee it would help.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Oh, I know what you mean!! I was at the park with Haylee when two little girls came up to me and asked how old Haylee was, etc., etc. They said they had a male chocolate lab and her dad sent them over to see if I would like to breed Haylee with their dog! I was shocked. I said no, she is spayed and you shouldn't be breeding your dog, either!! I couldn't believe it!

BudGirl8 Guest

If I were in your shoes, after reading Dani's post about Axel I'd print it out and take it to that lady and say "this is why I don't breed my dog. I wish more people would stop breeding their dogs so they don't end up like this."

I am still crying over that poor dog. Oy. :'(

If it's any consolation it happens all over the world the same. I'm from the other side of the pond (no, you'd never guess!!). It's up to us who care to make the public aware. Do pop into a lovely labbie forum based in the UK and have a read. www.labradorforums.co.uk Labbie lovers unite (but with no ties ;D )!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BudGirl8
    If I were in your shoes, after reading Dani's post about Axel I'd print it out and take it to that lady and say "this is why I don't breed my dog. I wish more people would stop breeding their dogs so they don't end up like this."

I am still crying over that poor dog. Oy. :'(
    Good idea, BudGirl

Uck, I see too many HEALTHY puppies every year get put to sleep at the shelter becuase A: the person who bred them decided they couldn't handle the responsibility or B:there were way too many puppies at the shelter, no one picked the little one in back with the crooked ear and so he gets put to sleep :'(. It's a horrible reality that some people just don't want to face because they think every dog needs to experience birth or that every home in the world has room for their puppies, no matter how the litter turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast