Need advice for friend on dog food . . .

Thread: Need advice for friend on dog food . . .

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed advice for friend on dog food . . .

My very good friend has a 10 year old yellow lab named Addie Belle. She is on thyroid medication and has some other health issues, but they are now under control. She just had her routine blood work done to check thyroid levels, etc. Her kidney count came back a bit high and the vet suggested that Addie now be on a low protein food. Addie is one of these labs that is very picky about her food. She is currently on Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal. Addie has lost three pounds since her last visit and needs to put on some weight. Can you knowledgable people suggest a good quality, low protein dog food. Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need advice for friend on dog food . . .

How low a protein are they talking about?

When Kelly's kidneys started to fail, I put her on Purina's kidney food. She did really well on it and lived almost another 2 years.

Laura

You know, Laura, I don't know much of the specifics of the lab results. I will pass along your suggestion. Thanks so much. So, is Shanny behaving herself today?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Um, no. I've already put the door stops back about 6 times, removed wicker from her mouth about 10 times and yelled at her to stop yipping about 20 times and its only 2 in the afternoon.

Laura

That's good news -- I was afraid she was starting to mend her ways -- glad to see she is still in top form.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I am no expert but I was worried a while back about my girls kidneys when she was going through some problems. Turned out not to be that at all (she is also on thyroid meds and has other "issues).
    But in reading I found the the research and studies done on protein and kidney's were done on lab rats and fed unnatural, high protein diets. This started the whole low Protein-kidney diets. Low-Protein diets can actually be more harmfull. Especially the drastically low levels of protein found in some diets.

I saved some links from back then but on my old pc so here is what I can remember.

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#protein

http://web.archive.org/web/200411160...rition/05.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1104

This is an excellent article http://web.archive.org/web/200103080..._clinical.html the kidney/diet info is more toward the bottom. The amount of prot to be reduced is dependant on how much of a fluctuation there is in the BUN and creatinine.
    Kim

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. We all get confused and probably the best bet is for her to talk with her vet and see exactly what the levels are and adjust the protein content of the food to the lab results.