It seems we have kennel cough.....

Thread: It seems we have kennel cough.....

DefaultIt seems we have kennel cough.....

Well, apparently Sarah did have a case of kennel cough and gave it to Madison. Madison started in a few days ago with that cough/gagging sound and then it quit for a day or so. She started in again about 2:30am this morning. Poor baby.

I went back and read old posts..... but the one thing I didn't see... could Sarah get it again? Hers did go away after she started the meds for the coccidia.

It's always so hard when your kids and your furry kids get sick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: It seems we have kennel cough.....

Have they been vaccinated for it? "M not saying they should, I"m just curious about cases of it in vaccinated dogs.

Even if dogs are vaccinated they can get Kennel cough. The vaccine is just like our flu vaccine...it only is against a specific type of kennel cough, but there are various versions of kennel cough. Hence even though your dog may be vaccinated he/she can still get kennel cough but it will be a much milder version.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If she gave the KC to Madison she shouldn't be able to get it again since she's already had that strand but she could get a different strand. Even with the vaccine they can get it since it doesn't cover all the strands.

Neither of my girls have been vaccinated for it. Ok, I can't say for sure about Sarah since we've only had her for 2 weeks, but I know Madison isn't.

Thanks for your input. I did mention it when I was at the vets office the other day and they said it just has to run it's course. Madison hasn't coughed to much but today she's sleepy and hasn't really wanted to eat much. :-\

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Ellie has had it twice since being vaccinated. I am beginning to think it is worthless. However, most kennels and day cares will not accept a dog that does not have the vaccine.