Change in eating habits.

Thread: Change in eating habits.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultChange in eating habits.

I mentioned some of this in a post I made last weekend. I wanted to get some feedback or see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Brigetta eats twice a day 1 3/4 cups each time. I have to put her Busy Buddy in her bowl to slow her eating down. Before eating I put her in a sit/wait, until I give the ok signal to eat.

Over the past couple of weeks her eating habits have really changed. When I give the ok signal, she will sometimes eat and sometimes she will run off to play or even go lay down. If she doesn't eat right away, she will come back and eat within 15-30 min. However, once or twice she hasn't eaten until dinner.

She has started taking the food out of the bowl, dropping it on the floor and then eating it.

She has also started eating a lot slower. She is actually chewing the food.

She is getting a little finicky with her biscuits as well. Sometimes she wants them, sometimes not.

EVERYTHING else is normal. She runs, plays, drinks, pees, and poops as usual.

I have checked her mouth for sores, etc. I don't see anything and she chews her nylabones every day and they're pretty hard.

I feed her California Natural Chicken Meal and Rice. She has been on it for quite awhile, no problems. I even opened a new bag in case the old one was stale.

I have tried different bowls and feeding her in different places.

She has an appointment with the vet next month. I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

She's about 15 months.

Is it a big deal if she only eats once a day? I was worried that if she is out playing during the day she should have something in her stomach.
    What's up with the eating slower and taking the food out of the bowl?

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Change in eating habits.

Somewhere over in health/nutrition Bob Pr had a post about Puff's eating habits changing...don't know if it would help, but might check it out (Probably on pg 3 or 4 by now...)

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

You are probably feeding her too much food. Puppies need a lot more food than adult dogs do, so the 3 1/2 cups of food total you have been feeding her were necessary for a puppy but probably too much for an adult dog. This is just her way of telling you that you are giving her too much food. My girls both needed their food amounts adjusted downward at about the same age. Now Tess eats 2 cups per day (1 cup AM and PM) and Emma eats 2 1/2 cups per day (1 1/4 cups per meal).

Also, I only leave food down for 10 minutes or so. I would not allow your dog to come back and decide to eat 20 or 30 minutes after the food has been put down. Just put the bowl down, and after 10 minutes take it up, whether she has eaten all or none of it. She will learn that she needs to go ahead and eat or else she will miss her chance, until the next scheduled meal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog
    Somewhere over in health/nutrition Bob Pr had a post about Puff's eating habits changing...don't know if it would help, but might check it out (Probably on pg 3 or 4 by now...)
    Thanks- I'll look for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    You are probably feeding her too much food. Puppies need a lot more food than adult dogs do, so the 3 1/2 cups of food total you have been feeding her were necessary for a puppy but probably too much for an adult dog. This is just her way of telling you that you are giving her too much food.
    This might be it. Over the past few month my vet reccomended that I increase her food because her food intake was not matching her exercise and we were actually starting to see her ribs.
    She is at a good weight now and looks healthy. I can't see her ribs (unless she in a weird position), but can feel them.
    If I cut back on her food, will she start to lose weight again?

I think Crockett sent Brigetta an email about leaving food on the floor - he does it so much
    These are great questions - I wonder if anyone has any good info...

Crockett does it too ;D

Georgie said that Molly started taking her food out of the bowl to eat it, and then one day she just stopped.

I just thought it was so strange that one night she decided that she didn't want to eat directly from the bowl :-\