Choosing a new LB Puppy food...

Thread: Choosing a new LB Puppy food...

DefaultChoosing a new LB Puppy food...

After reading the Nutro post below, I'm looking into new LB puppy foods (Ellie is 5 months). One person said Eagle Pack, Canidae and Innova were good, and another said Nature's Variety. Are there any other foods I shoud look into? I'm not sure how to choose...also, should I mix the new food with Nutro at first to get her used to it?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Choosing a new LB Puppy food...

I have heard that when you switch you should do it over several days. The first couple of days, 1/3 new food, 2/3 old food, third and fourth day half and half, 5th and 6th days 2/3 new and 1/3 old then full new food.

I feed Tal IAMS and he does well on it Poop is good and firm and his coat is shiny and has a nice texture to it. The reason I went with IAMS is because that is what the breeder used and I continued to use it because I didn't want to upset his little puppy tummy.

But regardless, what will work for one dog may not work for yours. Good luck and I can understand why you would want to switch. I thought Nutro's response, or rather the lack of resonpse was lame.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

If you do feed Innova, don't feed the Innova EVO until your dog is 18months-24 months old due to the calcium content
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sblab
    After reading the Nutro post below, I'm looking into new LB puppy foods (Ellie is 5 months). One person said Eagle Pack, Canidae and Innova were good, and another said Nature's Variety. Are there any other foods I shoud look into? I'm not sure how to choose...also, should I mix the new food with Nutro at first to get her used to it?

Thanks!
    And someone will say that Nutro is good too. You going to switch every time someone post something bad about a dog food? If thats the case you will be changing every 3 weeks. How is your pup doing on Nutro? Anyone you know on Nutro? You show me a good article about a dog food, ill show you 2 bad ones. Just dont jump to clonclusions. Just remember its very hard on a pup to change his dog food in some cases. I know my Davis had a hard time when I did that to him. But yes, Myfavoritedog had it right on the portions.

Thanks for the advice!

Bryanj - no, I don't plan to switch everytime someone says something bad about a food, that would be ridiculous. My pup is doing fine on Nutro, however she isn't too excited to eat it when I put it down. She waits a while. I have researched and have heard a great deal about animals getting sick on Nutro over last few days. I would rather not take any chances with my precious puppy. Here is a blog my husband found that has a lot of bad reports:

http://hubpages.com/hub/PET_FOOD_REC...O_DRY_DOG_FOOD

Well there is no doubt that its a very alarming thread. Although i think many of the posts are sever hype, it is something to think about. I feed Davis the lab Nutro lamb and rice and it has been wonderful thus far. A couple lab friends of mine also feed their dog Nutro. I hesitate to switch food cause it seems like wherever you go you read something bad about every dog food out there. And i mean EVERY dog food. Seems like you just cant win. So my choice is to do what I have been. Feed the same food and watch very carefully for signs.

On a side note, What age do you switch to adult food? Davis is not 11 moths old. Is it at a year?

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I like Professional Pet Food LB Puppy, Eukanuba LB Puppy and ProPlan LB Puppy.
    Kim

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

You want something that lists the type of protein first. Not any by-products. I personally prefer rice rather than corn or wheat. I also try to stay away from artifical colors and preservatives. Natura (makers of Innova) have a good comparison chart on their website. Lots of good foods you're thinking about there.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

We just recently switched from Iams to Premium Edge.

http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/pr...ppies/dry_food

Bailey has stopped with his dandruff and is packing on some serious growth.
    I am very happy with the results so far...