Info on Melamine

Thread: Info on Melamine

DefaultInfo on Melamine

I feed Cinnamon and Cierra Nature's Variety Raw Instinct kibble and Frozen Raw Patties. I check the website every few days with all the recall stuff. Just found this article. They were discussing melamine with a toxicologist. None of their product have been recalled but some of their foods are made by Menu Foods. http://www.naturesvariety.com/news.lasso

Thought I would post it in case anyone was interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Info on Melamine

Good article.

I was wondering why pets that were known to have been fed contaminated foods were still dying even after receiving veterinary treatment. I thought it was like a poison and they would use an antidote which would reverse the effects but this article shows why that doesn't happen. :'(

Aside from fluid therapy and supportive care, there is no cure for melamine and cyanuric acid poisoning. Occasionally, attempts to dissolve the urate portion of melamine stones may be attempted by alkalizing the urine and providing fluid therapy. However, melamine or cyanuric acid crystals cannot be dissolved once they have precipitated.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Info on Melamine

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Good article.

I was wondering why pets that were known to have been fed contaminated foods were still dying even after receiving veterinary treatment. I thought it was like a poison and they would use an antidote which would reverse the effects but this article shows why that doesn't happen. :'(

Aside from fluid therapy and supportive care, there is no cure for melamine and cyanuric acid poisoning. Occasionally, attempts to dissolve the urate portion of melamine stones may be attempted by alkalizing the urine and providing fluid therapy. However, melamine or cyanuric acid crystals cannot be dissolved once they have precipitated.
    Damn..... that sucks.....

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/