Question about dinner time and changing times...

Thread: Question about dinner time and changing times...

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about dinner time and changing times...

Ok so being at the beach w/ just me and my brother, there may be times where we are both at work and can't get home to feed Molly (the bulk of the time my mom should be here on weekends when most of the problems would occur) so I want to be prepared. Would it be beast to start feeding her earlier? I don't want her to get hungry later at night. Her big meal (1 1/2 cups) is in the morning and she gets 1 cup at dinner...Would something like a tricky treat ball be a good idea to put her dinner in? (then she would even be entertained!), then I might worry she wouldn't eat it all though

Has anyone used one of those timered feeders? Do they work? I might look into one of those as well if it becomes a problem w/ nobody getting home to feed her. Work is literally 2 minutes away (5 w/ traffic) so maybe on my breaks (not sure how long they are yet) I can come home and feed her...but then she might not have time to potty :-\

It might not even be a problem, but I want to be prepared
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about dinner time and changing times...

To be honest once you snap them out of a routine (you moving from the house you are at now to your beach house will throw her routine out the window) they adapt pretty quickly. If you don't give her a set feeding time she won't complain. As long as she knows roughly when she will be fed I can't imagine she will be a pain about it.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I always wonder if she knows the difference...the last two weekends we came down she demanded her breakfast/dinner at normal times (as did abby) She woke up at the same time as usual and we go to bed at the same time...I guess because the routine was the same as at home that she wasn't thrown off. Only different thing down here is she isn't crated since there isn't really room for one and she doesn't really need to be crated anymore.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

Cinnamon just goes with the flow...there have been many a time when her evening meal is later than normal. I feed her after we eat..the I am dominant thing and eat first.. so if we go out to eat or if we are just eating later it means her meal is also later.

Now when we leave she gets a slice or rolled dog food or left-over roast or chicken if there is any. She use to get a piece for going in her crate as a treat so we just continue it even though she is no longer crated. If I know we are going to be really late I will give her a larger treat to help hold her over.
    Karon<br /><br />

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Henery eats dinner anywhere between 5 and 8pm, depending on what I'm working. The nights that I work until 7, I pop a frozen Kong into his crate at lunchtime, so that he has a little snacky in the afternoon. Can you maybe do something like that for Molly?

I wouldn't worry too much about not having her dinner down at a certain time every day... our dogs are pretty adaptable!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I use and automatic feeder for Buddy and also used it for Shadow. I got it because they are not supposed to run or play hard for two hours after or one hour before a meal, and by the time I get home from work to feed, there isn't time to wait two hours for play and exercise and still have an hour before beans at 8:00 pm.

The feeder I have you can set for up to eight feedings a day, and you set the amount of time you want it to run. That took a bit of playing with at first, to see how much food came out during how many minutes, etc. Different size kibble would come out at different rates. It also has a backup batter in case the power goes out. It works very well and I am quite pleased with it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Emma is easy....She rolls with the punches and adapts to any changes.

Aidan? Diff story... he knowssss his feed times. His internal dinner bell goes off at exactly the same times, twice a day, and you BETTER the Pork Chop when he is ready to eat or else!

From what Jackie says, the timed feeder sounds like the way to go.
    <br /><br />