Did your adult lab and puppy hit it off right away?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did your adult lab and puppy hit it off right away?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDid your adult lab and puppy hit it off right away?

We brought Charlotte home on Friday, and Jake has been moping around, depressed and totally uninterested in her (except to lift his lip at her once when she bit his ear). She will roll over, show her belly, play bow, etc. He'll occasionally bark at her and run around - but that's only with our encouragement. Today he refuses to come into any room she is in and won't come near me

Advice? Experience? I've only ever had "only child" dogs. We talked to the breeder and she said it would just take time. ::sigh::

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Clancey hated Harper. Kept giving us that look "He's staying?, Are you sure?" It took a while but they came around.

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Happy has taken to both Lucky and Sam right from the bat, but Happy has this very 'mommy' dog nurturing way about him. He just loves puppies!

When we brought Sam home Lucky looked at us like "YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT?!?!"

It took quite a while before she would play with him. Just give them time, your older dog will establish himself as top dog as far as the puppy is concerned and he'll tell the pup his boundries, once he's use to the puppy they'll be fast chums.

Lucky just adores Sam now, took a few weeks, but it happened!
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Bogey had no issues with Calli. But I made sure everytime he came around I had a little cookie for him. So maybe try that.

He'll see shes a good thing to have around. He'll adjust, promise.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Jack spent 36 hours in a corner moping when we brought Ben home. But Ben was older (6 mos) and when he finally talked Jackson into playing it was all over...Best friends. Just give it time...especially if the pup is young.

labby is offline Senior Member

Nope. Shanny especially growls and snarls whenever I keep a puppy. In fact, I think she finally quit growling at Quinn about a week or so ago.

Laura

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

LOL... let's see, when Ollie first came home, Henery completely ignored him. In fact, if Ollie came to sit next to him, Henery would get up, move 18" over and sit down again. Then came a week of the two brudders figuring things out and it finally took Hen to get up the gumption to tell Ollie off in no uncertain terms that they became best brudders.

I'd say it took about 2 weeks here. Hen is pretty soft, so it did take him a while to finally tell his little black banshee of a brother off, but once that was done, it's all been good ever since.

It does just take time. I feel your pain, I was so wracked with guilt at first that I had somehow ruined Hen's life by bringing Ollie home but that was short-lived. Hang in there, Jess!! I can't imagine not having the two of them now.

ETA: Hen was 5.5 when Ollie came home, and it was only ever just me and him before that.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Diesel was not standoffish really - he got a little territorial about his food and scared the crap out of Blaise in the first few days when Blaise wandered near Diesel's dish. Blaise has however respected Diesel's dish since. I do feed them in separate areas for every meal anyway.

They played pretty well together from the start - Diesel was rougher that he should have been and had to learn to be a little more gentle. Now that Blaise is closing in on 60# and he is very much able to hold his own (and more) with the big D, Diesel is looking for an escape route sometimes.

Diesel is not interested in cuddling with his little brother. If Blaise lays down next to him, D will move a bit away. Occasionally they share a bed. Often they are on opposite sides of the couch - Diesel tells him all the time "don't touch me"!!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I just sent out a puppy w/ a gal who has a 4 yo female Flat Coat on Friday pm too. Her girl did try to play a bit at first, but then did this standoffish bit like "hmmm, I'm not sure I want this!". Suffice to say I think the relationship gets better day by day.

My own (6) seem to already know who is staying, if that's possible! I still have 4 puppies here of the 8, but one is leaving tonite, one possibly tomorrow and the other girl on Weds am. I'm lucky to have a 6 mo old, 2.5 yo old and 4 yo that LOVE to play w/ the babies. The 14 yo is awfully good w/ them as well. The mom and aunt are 5 yo, and keep their distance typically til pups are ~12 - 14 wks old again and better behaved, lol. Anne

my2labs is offline Senior Member

abbey let cinder pull her around by her ears and bite her cheeks with her sharp little puppy teeth. she had cinder potty trained in 2 days and they are inseparable. we are glad they got a long so well. abbey went with us to the breeders to pick her out when she was 4 weeks old.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast