Question about bump on abbey's front leg (pics included)-UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about bump on abbey's front leg (pics included)-UPDATE

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about bump on abbey's front leg (pics included)-UPDATE

I have been sobbing all evening thinking that abbey has a cancerous tumor on her front leg. my husband had her turned over on her back and noticed a skin tag on on the joint. that is nothing new because i have seen it before but we noticed this smooth round lump right next to it. it is squishy and movable but you can tell it has some consistency to it. i'm scared to death about what it might be and we won't be able to get her into the vet until monday (thank goodness i took the day off). she has no signs of pain and she has not been lethargic, has not lost weight, or had vomiting or diahrrea of any kind (she is the normal happy-go-lucky dog she's always been) what do the rest of you think about this. she is 7 and overweight and i read in my home veterinary book that it might be a growth called lipomas.

this is her normal front leg around the joint

and this is the mysterious bump

it is not bothering her walking or running and since she rarely rolls onto her back, we don't know how long it's been there. it looks bigger in the picture then it is on her. it's about 2.5 inches round. any advice would be appreciated. i keep thinking the worse.

UPDATE-

too abbey to the vet first thing this morning. they did an needle extraction and showed us the slide. sure enough, it was just fat cells, a lipomas. we are suppose to watch to make sure it doesn't get any bigger, faster. we have to put abbey dear on a cottage cheese, green bean diet and get her to lose about 50 pounds. i'm so relieved that i'll actually be able to get some sleep tonight. thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. i love my home veterinarian book. someone on here suggested it and it has been worth it's weight in gold.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about bump on abbey's front leg (pics included)

Don't panic yet - have it checked by the vet. They can biopsy the fluid in the bump right there under a microscope. Labs are known for being lumpy and bumpy - especially as they get older! My boy, Max just had a lump removed off his front left leg. Not a huge ordeal at all.

Thoughts and prayers - keep us posted.
    Brenda from Connecticut

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I would have your vet check it, but as a general rule of thumb, the soft, squishy lumps usually aren't serious tumors. I'd be more worried if it was hard and nodular.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Dont get too worried. It very well could be a lipoma. labs tend to get a lot of bumps and lumps like Brenda said so dont panic quite yet.
    Let us know Monday what the vet thinks but it doesnt "sound" like the bad type.
    <br /><br />

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

I can tell can you from experience with 2 of my dogs that osteocarcoma or bone cancer is not soft, squishy or moveable. Cancer tumors are generally attached to something such as an organ or bone so if it is moveable chances are it is not cancer. I would of course get it checked on Monday but I wouldn't panic just yet.
    Karon<br /><br />

WigWag Guest

Looks like a fatty tumor to me. I wouldn't worry too much - have your vet check it out and take a needle aspirate for a biopsy.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    I can tell can you from experience with 2 of my dogs that osteocarcoma or bone cancer is not soft, squishy or moveable. Cancer tumors are generally attached to something such as an organ or bone so if it is moveable chances are it is not cancer. I would of course get it checked on Monday but I wouldn't panic just yet.
    Not necessarily. Max's lump was a mast cell tumor and not attached to anything. Mast cell tumors are a cancer of the tissue. Max's was hard, yet movable.

Brenda from Connecticut

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others who've said Labs tend to get lumpy and bumpy as they get older. My brother's Lab has had a lot of fatty deposits removed- all benign. She currently has a lot more but she'd 13 now, so they can't remove them. Defininately get her to the vet, but try not to think the worst.

Sam had histocytoma removed in March of last year. It was benign, but that histocytomas are more common in younger labs,

Merlot_1 Guest

Could be just a fatty cyst, lots of my dogs got them as they got older...8years plus. They vets always said the same thing, "remove it if it bothers YOU, but the dog could care less." Have it checked out, though.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Have it checked for sure but it looks and sounds like a fatty tumor.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast