The new puppy is home :)

Thread: The new puppy is home :)

DefaultThe new puppy is home :)

JJ is home, Windy is jealous. She is very mouthy and vocal with the puppy especially around me. It is more like bitey face with older dogs. The puppy just bounces back up and gives it back. Is this ok to allow or am I encouraging Windy to be aggressive toward her sister. She hasn't done anything to hurt her. We make sure the two of them are supervised at all times when the puppy is out of crate and make sure we are giving Windy lots of attention when the puppy is sleeping and rewarding her when she is gentle with the puppy. I'm trying not to respond when it gets a little rough and tumble, as I don't want Windy to interpret it as praise/reward for her behavior.
    Potty training is going pretty good, she has gone to the door three times today, whimpered and pottied as soon as we got out. We've only had two accidents since Saturday, both my fault for not reacting to "the warning dance" fast enough...LOL.
    Any and all advice for making a smooth transition from a one dog to two dog home is welcome
    I have to upload pics to post, will do that as soon as I can.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: The new puppy is home :)

What a little cutie pie; congrats!! No advice for the interaction between the two, but I'm interested in the replies.
    Can't wait for more pics!

Congrats on the new addition! Cant wait to see some pics.

I would let them work things out. As long as you are supervising them at first, 100% of the time, which you said you are, you will know if they are being too rough. Some dogs are more verbal than others. Things will settle down soon enough. Good luck!
    Just keep repeating- no bite, no bite and replacing whatever is in the mouth with an appropriate toy. They do get it eventually!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you've got a nice start. Keep on being the observer and only intervene as the enforcer when your gut tells you it's time. Believe me... you'll know when.

Seamus and Flynn

Do everything with Windy first, and make sure she has some alone time with you everyday. If there ever is something that gets out of hand break it up, pet and praise Windy and ignore JJ unless he is physically hurt. I know this sounds totally counter to what you think you should do but if you do what I am telling you, you are reinforcing Windy's place about JJ in the order of the pack. If you do the opposite you may be sending JJ signals that his status is higher than Windy's and the fights could become more frequent and violent.
    Olie

Thanks for the advice and feedback. I also talked with the breeder and she said essentially the same thing. It's still pretty rough and tumble, but hysterical to watch this sweet little yellow pudge turn into Atilla the land shark, you can hear her little jaw snapping. She is quite the instigator at times. There have been a couple of times it sounded like they were killing one another with all the vocalizations and they were feet apart from one another, both tails wagging and "smiles" on their faces. (Yes I do believe labs can smile ;D ) If one or the other gives out a yelp, they have been backing off on their own. I've only had to break them up a couple of times.
    She seems to be catching on to the potty training pretty quickly. So far so good. I'm also working on basic commands. I think we are making good progress for the first week. In some ways having been through puppyhood with the other dog is helping me be more relaxed as to what to expect with the puppy. The biggest challenge has been to allow the pack forming behavior, it sounds so nasty, but that is how they communicate. A couple of times Windy has gone belly up and allowed the puppy to crawl on her....until she tries to nurse ...ouch, she want's no part of that!
    I'll upload and post pics over the weekend.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awww JJ is adorable!! And make sure you tell Windy she's a beautiful girl!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Both your girls are adorable.
    I'm sure they'll work things out soon.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Congratulations ! Both your girls are adorable.