Play date at the lake

Thread: Play date at the lake

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlay date at the lake

Today my friend from the club came over and we all went to the lake: Me, Kevin, Simon, Anna and Willie. Willie is an Irish Wolfhound. The first thing people say: "Wow...that's a REALLY big dog!"

It was...interesting.

First of all, we didn't take Angus because he and Willie have both had scary experiences with other dogs. They both tend to be a little skitty. Two skitties are not such a good idea, we decided. So I thought we should take Mr. Reliable. Simon is also (usually) better about dropping everything for a recall, and I was a bit worried that a hound might wander off leash, and Simon might follow. I'd have a better chance of getting him back.

So anyway, we get down there hoping the two would play with each other and wear each other out. This was Simon:

Jump jump bark bark bark throw the bumper pant pant throw it throw it throw it THROW IT!

Poor Willie didn't really have much of a playmate with Simon, I'm afraid. :-\

We were curious to see if Willie would swim. He did not, but he did get his feet wet, which pleased Anna. It reminded me of Crash. We took him to the lake a couple of times, he splashed a bit and was like, "OK, I'm done."

Willie is not neutered, as she shows him in conformation. Man! Do all un-neutered males mark like every three steps? Holy cow! He even peed on the RED BAG! Anna was horrified. I dipped it into the lake...and then remembered that I had photos and copies of their records in the pocket. Oops! But guess what? Not a drop of water got through. olice: I cannot recommend the Outward Hound gear bag highly enough.

We decided to do some stays while we were there. That was fun. Simon was having a little trouble with the down stay, though. He kept rolling on his back in the grass. I just said, "OK, we just won't show him outside."

All in all a pretty fun day. Anna said she would come over and meet us there again, maybe some night after work. It would be a good place to practice.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Play date at the lake

Sounds like a good time was had by all!

Now, where are the pics?!?!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good day. I have always liked the Wolfhounds but never actually met one. They seem like they would be pretty calm and friendly dogs.

What lake did you go to? I know you are in the Nashville area and was just curious since my in-laws live in Gallatin and I often fish Old Hickory Lake when we are down there. I haven't taken Kody there yet though. We are going down there in July this year and I am sure Kody is going to need some swimming time knowing the heat of TN summers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yes! WHERE are the pics! Simon is such a good boy.

I love love love my outward hound bag too....can't say enough good things about it. And we use their portable bowls all of the time too.

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

That sure sounds like a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Buddy is the same way as Simon - he is all about the tennis ball and couldn't care less about the other dogs. I have given up - he's a workaholic. No playtime for him when there's a ball to retrieve!