Collapsing Lab
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapsing Lab

jazzypad1 is offline Member

DefaultCollapsing Lab

Hi

I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself and Monty, who is my beautiful black lab. We live in the North East of England. Monty is almost three but sadly he is having some health problems. In the past eight months he has collapsed ten times. I am keen to hear from other lab owners who may have experienced similar problems. He has now been referred to the Animal Health Trust as a "challenging case".

It is felt that his problem may be genetic and I have been trying (so far without success) to trace his littermates - as the vets think they may be similarly affected. I am looking for Ebony Rolo, Striding Billy Black, Gemmima Black, Raven Queen Sally, and Charging Dolly.

If anyone knows of these dogs ?- or can be of any help regarding Monty's problems I would love to hear from them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Collapsing Lab

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear about Monty's problems with collapsing. He is so young. My Angus is about that age.

Have you heard of something called exercise-induced collapse? Has this been investigated? It has been a topic of conversation here several times. but I don't know a great deal about it except that it sometimes happens after excitement or exercise, then seems to right itself fairly quickly afterwards.

You've come to a good place. I'm sure others will chime in and have more advice for you.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

What sort of collapse, Jazzy? Legs? Seizures? Could you help us out here with a bit more specific information?

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Please Google Exercise Induced Collapse. There's a cooperative study going on between several Canadian and US vetmed schools/colleges seeking to find the genetics and lineage of this. You'll find a full description of the symptoms there and how to participate in the study if your dog has those symptoms.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Have you contacted your breeder?? I don't know how they handle litter records in England, but with the AKC, we keep records of owners addresses, etc., on file.

I'd also be curious to know more details about the "collapses". Does he just pass out, or is it a struggle for air, or what??? Do they happen while awake, during exercise or at rest??? Look into the EIC, and also narcolepsy perhaps... I noticed that HealthGene has a test for narcolepsy. Also, have cardiac issues been ruled out? -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

bump

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

jazzypad1 is offline Member

Hi to all those who so kindly got back to me so promptly.

Its good to know there is so much support out there. I will try to respond to some of the questions raised - though it may take a while!

After Monty had been seen by 7 different vets in 3 different practices he has now been referred to the Animal Health Trust which is probably the leading veterinary research centre in the UK. We were there 3 weeks ago for consultation and will be returning again next week - when tests to be carried out will include include lactate and pyruvate levels, urinary tests, electrophysiology and a muscle biopsy (which I understand will be sent to the US for analysis?). Tests already done include spinal fluid, MRI scan, and numerous blood tests. He is probably in the best possible hands at the AHT - but I understand that they have had some young labradors with similar descriptions over the past few years and no definite diagnosis was made on them.

I have done lots of research on the internet into the various possibilities that could be causing his problems. Exercise induced collapse (which is apparently rarely found in UK labs) was one of the first things I came up with (and one which our local vets had not come across). Other possibilites seem to include epilepsy(but if so then a very unusual form), canine epileptoid cramping syndrome, canine stress syndrome (or malignant hyperthermia) and various other neuromuscular disorders.

Monty has always shown some intolerance to exercise and heat. He is a very excitable, athletic looking dog and looks really fit. But he does have a poor appetite. He loves to run and play - but can get wobbly if we don't stop soon enough. A normal long walk doesn't exhaust him nearly so much as a few minutes ball play. He pants excessively after all exercise, and when he is excited (which in Monty's case is a lot of the time), except if that exercise has been in water. Then it seems as if the cooling effect of the water makes a difference. I would say his first collapse last August was definitely exercise induced, as was an episode a few weeks back. But most episodes have occured at home and have been brought on by just something simple ,like barking at the postman, which he does on a regular basis without undue effect.

Monty remains fully conscious, alert and responsive throughout the attacks. Sometimes both front and hind legs seem affected - other times just the hind ones. There is no salivation or loss of bladder or bowel control. He pants throughout and is very frightened and trembles a bit. Episodes can last from about 5 minutes up to about 25 mins. Then he gets up himself, takes a few wobbly steps - and then is completely back to normal - running and jumping about as if nothing has happened. He normally cannot stand but if the front legs are not affected he tries to pull himself forward.

A slightly different episode took place about a month ago. It was the first warm weekend this year (in the NE of England we don't get very warm weather). I took him to the park in the car. As it was warm I decided not to play ball with him but just have a walk around the field. Monty made friends with a young German Shepherd and they ran around the field a couple of times. Monty was panting hard so I got him to lie down for a couple of minutes then made our way back to the car. He jumped in OK but was panting extremely hard. On the way back I could see in the rear view mirror that he was holding himself in a different way and seemed to be learning against the tailgate for support. He made his way into the house OK but when he got into the kitchen he had to lean against a door for support and one hind leg was drawn up towards his body. As I went toward him he growled at me - which is totally out of character. He then made his way into the other room, but his body seemed "arched" and he was very stressed - he still growled at me when I went near him. He came out of it after I managed to get him to eat a couple of sweet biscuits (a co-incidence or not?). He then was very excitable and continued to pant for probably another hour and a half. That was the only time he didn't totally collapse.

To date he has had 10 episodes - anything from 10 weeks between to 6 days between. I would say that the last couple of probably been slightly less severe.

The breeder has not been co-operative, saying that he has not kept contact details for Monty's siblings - but that he presumes they have been OK because none of them have come back to him. He says I am the only one to have kept any contact with him out of the six pups. The bitch has had only two litters - Monty was in the second litter. On the other hand the sire's owners have been as helpful as possible and it was them who supplied me with the names of the dogs and names of the owners - but they do not have any contact details. I have tried everything I can think of to find those dogs - maybe they are OK but maybe they are having similar problems. It seems that most of the things the vets are considering go back to a genetic problem.

I would love to hear from any lab owners who's dogs have EIC or any other movement/muscle disorders. Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards to everyone
    June Lawson

Unfortunately I don't have any great wisdom to impart, but I wanted to offer some support. I hope you find some answers soon that will give you and Monty some relief.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

June, I hope & pray that this will be figured out soon and it's treatable. Keep us posted, OK?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Poor Monty. I hope that you find out what is causing this poor Lab so much discomfort. Will be thinking of you!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast