Buddy's first week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy's first week

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultBuddy's first week

Buddy has really adapted well to his forever home. He learned to ring the bells to go potty in two days, and he has not had one accident in the house. ;D He uses Shadow's beds, plays with her toys, and eats from her dishes like they were always his. Buddy also acts like he has always used a tie-out, and is really good with it. He walks fairly well on a leash, much better with the prong collar than Shadow did, but needs to learn to heel. I'm looking for obedience classes nearby. The one I really want to take him to has not returned my calls yet, and if they don't soon, I'll have to look elsewhere.

He's just tall enough to be able to see out our windows when standing on the floor. The only one he can actually see out of, though, is in the computer room, as the rest have furniture in front of them. Buddy hasn't tried getting on the couch (yet), but he did try to climb into Bill's lap in his recliner. He has jumped up on the bed a couple of times, but that's a no-no. The bed was Shadow's place, and I am not ready to allow another dog to sleep there. :-\

Buddy is sweet, gentle, lovable, cuddly, smart, funny, athletic, and a charming sneak thief (think Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief). He leaps like a gazelle, needs more exercise than Shadow ever did, is a champion counter-surfer and trash-diver, and has tried to remove the stones from my rings numerous times. He responds quickly to a "No!" and learns fast. When we first got him, we had to lift him into the van because he didn't want to get in, and then block his escape when the door was opened because he'd try to bolt out. Now he jumps into the van on command, waits until I take his leash before he gets out, and also waits at the door of the house instead of dashing out and dragging you with him. Buddy is still exploring and discovering the house, and I learned that he can reach the top of our entertainment unit quite easily, in addition to the higher shelves on our bookshelf units. :-\ He definitely is making me keep the tables and counters clear!

We still miss Shadow, our sweet baby girl, but Buddy is healing the holes in our hearts.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Buddy's first week

I'm so glad that you two are healing and that Buddy is there to help you! He sounds like a great guy! He is very lucky to have parents like you and Bill. Have a happy Mother's Day!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like it's becoming a very sweet transition, Jackie.
    Hope you can get that trash diving and surfing under control quickly. I have no doubt you will.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

It sounds like Buddy is settling in nicely. You'll always miss Shadow, but it does help to have a new dog to love and take care of, and it's a nice way to honor Shadow's memory. I'm happy for you.

It seems you all are adjusting beautifully! Buddy sounds like a really great dog for you and Bill. As for the bed, someday, you'll want him up there..and that will be the right time. No rush..for Buddy or you..just enjoying your time together. He sounds like a very happy well adjusted dog! We're all so happy for you both! It's great to see you posting again, and sharing Buddy's life with us.
    Happy Mommy's day to you!
    Hugs, Jackie

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

As I have been reading your posts this week, I kept thinking that you and Bill have done a wonderful job of picking out Buddy. I've also been saying to myself, Buddy is home (if you know what I mean). I will never forget Shadow but we all have room in our hearts to love one more.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

This is so true..we used to have a Rottie..years and years ago..he was the love of my husbands life..he cried all the way home after we had to put him to sleep, he was ill, terminal. Well..Dakota is running a close race for that spot again. He loves him alot..and he was the one who really didn't want another dog at this time..he's crazy about Dakota, we both are of course. There is always room to love another dog, cat, bird..whatever your choice is. They each will hold a different but special place in our hearts.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Rangermom
    As I have been reading your posts this week, I kept thinking that you and Bill have done a wonderful job of picking out Buddy. I've also been saying to myself, Buddy is home (if you know what I mean). I will never forget Shadow but we all have room in our hearts to love one more.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Jackie, I'm so happy you have found another dog to love. Buddy sounds like he will work out really well. Nothing can ever replace our pets we have lost, but we can always found room in our hearts to love others. I lost my two cats within six months of each other; now I have two new kitties -- they have certainly helped in the healing process. Give Buddy a chocolate kiss from Haylee!!

Buddy sounds wonderful.

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

I am so glad you found Buddy - he sounds wonderful!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast