Gus TPLO update

Thread: Gus TPLO update

Gus and Zekes Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultGus TPLO update

Gus seems to be doing pretty good so far. I haven't had time to post since I updated after his surgery last week. His surgery was on Wednesday and he got to come home on Thursday afternoon. My son went along to pick him up and he was really glad to see us. Fortunately, I had purchased a telescoping ramp to use for the Jeep and it works at my front door as well. We got it last Saturday, so we had time to practice with him before the surgery and he doesn't have any problem with using it. Thank goodness or I don't know how I would ever get him in and out of the house by myself.

One funny thing happened when we were picking him up. There was another black lab who had surgery the same day as Gus and his family was there to pick him up when we were. When they brought Gus out, there were standing near the end of the counter and the man thought it was his dog and started calling him Jackson. When Gus gave him a back off stare, the man asked the vet tech "What's wrong with Jackson? He must still be groggy because he acts like he's never seen me before." She just looked at him and said, "Well, that's because this is not Jackson, it's Gus."

I had done a lot of research before this surgery, but I didn't have any idea that I would be so exhausted. First, I worried during the surgery. Then, I worried until he came home. Now I am worried that we will do something wrong and hurt him or he will bound up and hurt himself. I will try to take a picture tomorrow if I see him laying the right way so I can get opinions about how he is looking. I think pretty good, but never having been through this before, I would value any opinions.

Thanks again for all of the good thoughts for Gus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Gus TPLO update

I'm glad the worst part is over for Gus. My friend recently went through this with her GR. Your only problem will be to keep Zeke from trying to play with him, but I bet he gets the right idea about how Gus needs to rest. I'm sure your vet gave you instructions on how long Gus needs to be walked only on leash, no stairs, no slippery floor, etc. The ramp is a great idea. If you ever have trouble about getting him up a step, remember the towel trick: put a towel under his belly and help lift some of the weight off his back legs.
    Get well soon Gus.

pj

continued good thoughts going out to gus!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm so glad to hear that Gus is home and doing well. Good luck with his recovery. I would have the same worries and fears you are having. :-\

They are a source of never ending gray hairs from all the worrying you do about them. I am glad Gus is doing so well. The ramp was a great idea.

Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I am so glad Gus is doing well. Continued prayers and good thoughts for a speedy, uneventful recovery.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Continued good thoughts for Gus. Good call ont he ramp. Funny story about the other lab. It is os hard when they can't talk to you.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

I have not been on the board for a week or so. So glad Gus came through ok. Tank had 2 TPLO's one year apart so I know what you are going through. The second one was much easier
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully