Tal and his crate

Thread: Tal and his crate

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultTal and his crate

I have noticed something in the last several weeks. Tal has started to go into his crate at night when it's bed time instead of cetting into bed with me. At sometime during the night thought he will get into the bed with me cuz when I wake up he is in the bed sound asleep. He does this especially when he is tired too.

I guess he is starting to think of his crate as his room!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tal and his crate

If Molly is tired she will go up & lay on her bed in the living room. Abby will just lay on the couch with us in the family room. Sometime during the night Molly will come to bed. Abby will not go to bed unless we do.

Tal is growing up & he knows when he is ready for bed.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I think its funny when ppl think that crates are 'cruel' hearing how tal likes his crate just shows how UNCRUEL crates are. I know apollo loves his new big crate.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would love to take Cinnamon's crate down in the bedroom as I could use the space. Even a doggie bed would be better than that large crate. But she sleeps part of each night in it. Now she has free roam of the house she will even nap in there sometimes my parents tell me as I am at work.

Merlot_1 Guest

The crate is his den. That is the one place that nobody else will use except him

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

We crate Koko when we are not home and at night, the command to get in the crate is "Night night time"! If we tell Koko to "clean up youre toys" she runs around the house getting her toys and putting them in her crate!.

Tal is getting to be a big boy and he is happy to have his "own room" although he still likes sleeping with you best!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

That's sweet. Tallie likes to catch 40 winks in his office before tucking in with you.
    (Flynn really likes his crate, too. Goes in for short periods of time on his own, just because.)

Seamus and Flynn

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Until she was a year old, Puff used to sleep in her crate (a large size PetZazz, no longer made -- it has casters and a folding tongue on its roof so I rolled it from BR to LR or Kitchen as needed). At night, I parked it beside my bed. After she started jumping up and sleeping next to me, she no longer entered her crate as much and the last couple years she's never entered it.

On the thought of taking it with me for my trip back east this June, I tried briefly urging her to go in but she wouldn't.

She does hop up on the bed when I go to bed but sometimes hops down and may spend some?/half? the night in her bed beside mine, and the rest with me. She's always asleep beside me in the morning.

So she has two night-time preferred places and alternates between them.

Recently, I did buy a large (green) Pet Gear Home 'N Go fabric folding crate and opened up the top flap plus the end door and put her dog bed inside it. Puff enters that willingly and is acclimating herself (without her awareness) to using it on our trip this June.

I'm not sure what makes being in her bed alone more inviting to her than being next to me; it's not that I'm thrashing or being a bed hog. But she doesn't like me to be too far away from her or out of her sight so I suspect her desire for "togetherness" is what brings her back.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Yeah and I know yesterday I was working on the computer and Tal just went in there and took a nap. Though if I leave the room he goes wherever I go!