Prep school for pups....what do the pups need to learn in the nxt few weeks?

Thread: Prep school for pups....what do the pups need to learn in the nxt few weeks?

DefaultPrep school for pups....what do the pups need to learn in the nxt few weeks?

The pups will be 4 weeks old early on Monday, besides getting them used to being handled, trimming their toenails and weaning them - what else should I be doing to prepare them for leaving home?

Is there a weekly timeline that tells what they should be doing/learning?

I think a have a very, very old book on breeding somewhere in my collection - maybe it has a timeline of sorts.

Teddie needed constant vet care and was handraised so we handled her constantly, but with Hailey and her litter - she's taking care of most of the work - I'm just the maid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Prep school for pups....what do the pups need to learn in the nxt few weeks?

Dina, I'm sure the breeders will have lots of good info for you.
    My DH's mom is a breeder and I know one thing she works on at this age, once they are able to see, walk, etc is getting them used to being startled and recovering from the startle response. Nothing harsh...maybe just clapping hands and then assisting them in their recovery to being startled. She also uses the vacuum, lets the tv on and gets them used to hearing the sounds of a busy house.
    She also works on getting them used to being on their backs for a few seconds without getting too stressed out.

Hope you get some good suggestions from the lab breeders here. I cant believe they are 4 weeks old already!