Tap tap tap - do your dogs do this?

Thread: Tap tap tap - do your dogs do this?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTap tap tap - do your dogs do this?

So today, one of the half dozen people living next door entertained us all with a very loud, dramatic phone call...right outside my kitchen window. : She was talking to her "Mamuh" :-\ Apparently someone is pregnant and is going to lose their baby if they don't change their ways, and Mamuh shouldn't be taking no crap, cause "She ain't gonna touch you!"

Good freaking grief. Is it any wonder I want to get the hell out of dodge?

Anywho...

The boys, in the backyard at the time, were finding it all very disturbing (rightfully so). Angus was barking his head off every time she would raise her voice. I let him go for a while, because really, I was in complete agreement. :P But eventually I decided that was probably enough, so I went over to the kitchen window and tapped a couple of times, very lightly.

He came to the porch, I said, "Shhh." And that was the end of that.

Now...

This is also how we stopped Crash from barking. There were a few times Crash paid the piper for incessant barking, and eventually he learned that the window tap meant, "Don't make me come out there." It didn't take long, and for the rest of his life all we had to do was "tap tap," and that was that.

But!

Angus has never really been punished in any way for barking. All I do is "tap tap," and he stops. Why? ??? Maybe it just redirects his attention. I just find it kind of funny that it works so well, so easily, with all my dogs.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tap tap tap - do your dogs do this?

We use the window tap, too. It works great with Tess (who really isn't a barker). Emma is tougher, it seems that once she starts barking she has trouble stopping. She has to run around and find a toy to stuff in her mouth so that she can stop herself.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Connie, mine learned "shhhhhhhhh!, that's enough!" in the same fashion.
    It just caught their attention one day. Perhaps the surprise of the "shhh" sound combined with a command. They piped down quickly.

It's works now about 60% of the time.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

I wish that worked with Jack. He has a love/hate relationship with the two female dogs next door, Velma & Roxy. They run up and down the fence between our two properties barking their heads off. He's worn a path along the fence so deep that pretty soon I fear a dog can squeeze under it. Nothing distracts Jack from this. Once he's on a roll.....forget it. I've tapped...yelled...shhh'd.....whistled....offered treats...kongs....bones....shown him the leash.......you name it. Until the girls go inside he's deaf to me.
    But when he's outside without the girls, he barely makes a sound. A woof once in a while and that's it. The girls bring out the beast in him!

It's gotten to the point that I now look outside my side kitchen window to check for the girls. If they're not out...Jack can go outside. I wish my neighbor would do the same!
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

Gracie is usually pretty good about stopping. A window tap won't work, the yard is too big! I have to go out and tell her "Enough"! 80% of the time I only have to say it once (she usually has to get one last bark in though!)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I don't have a fenced yard so I don't know how Tal would do. He will bark occasionally when he is looking out the glass door and sees someone walking by he doesn't like.

Sammi is the same way! Only I just look over at her and in a very quiet voice (almost a whisper) and say, "Enough."
    And she stops.

And sometimes, if it's late at night and she starts her growling at the window, it kind of freaks me out a little.
    So I look over at her and say in a very quiet, calm voice, "Who's out there Sammi?" or "What is it?"
    And that's her cue to start the full on barking. I let her do that for about a minute or so....to scare off any would-be
    intruders (lol) and then say, "enough."

And she stops.

I never conciously taught her this. It's just one of those funny little things that they pick up on after a while. Kind
    of like with Holly when it's wet outside. I don't say anything to her anymore.....she just steps in and rolls over for me
    to wipe her feet.....only if it's wet outside though. Otherwise she just bolts through the door. She knows the difference.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Charla, both those Sammi stories reminded me of Crash!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever