1st day at home with Scout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st day at home with Scout

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default1st day at home with Scout

We brought Scout home yesterday morning. He is a cute little guy I was just surprised how small he is. My first lab Rocky was so bulky and had giant feet and a huge tale, Scout is much more delicate. He seems to be very sweet and loves everyone. He has no fear of people and has enjoyed all the neighbor kids that have come by to see him. He is playful but not hyper. Amazingly he seems to understand the word No. When I tell him No he stops what he is doing. That was very surprising to me so he may be a smart little puppy. Last night I put him in the crate at 9:30 to go to bed and he slept until 4:30am. I took him outside to go potty and he quickly peed and pooped. I put him back in his crate and he slept until 7:30. He did not cry at all during the night in his crate. I was very pleased he has taken to the crate so well.

He follows me everywhere and I'm afraid I'm going to step on him because he gets under my feet. He loves to be held and petted all over his body. It is nice that he is so affectionate. He had two accidents within the first half hour when we brought him home in the morning, but none since then.

All in all it has been a great experience so far, but so much work. I haven't been able to do much of anything else but watch this puppy, but I assume my attentions will result in a well behaved and potty trained puppy pretty soon so it is worth it. It is real pleasure to have another dog. I still miss Rocky terribly and cry about him everyday but I hope Scout will help my grief to subside soon.

I really appreciate this site and have learned lots so far. I really want to do a good job and raise this puppy well. With the knowledge I'm getting here I think I have a good chance.

Debbie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Get used to having all your attention focused on the puppy, for at least the next four months! Unless he's one of those rare Labs that seem to be born an 'old soul' and never gets into trouble, you will have to watch him closely until he is out of the chewing and mischief stage.

I'm glad you had such an easy night with him, that's terrific.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new puppy! That's great he slept in his crate for you so well! Keep your eye on him! You can blink and your iPod can be in the grasp of his little mouth!
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Oh - and keep him used to being handled all over, by everyone you can get to handle him. Especially feet, ears, and teeth. It will make claw trimming and vet visits immeasurably easier in the future!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

georgie is offline Senior Member

Welcome Scout. We really need some pictures. Sounds like he is off to a great start.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Scout sounds like a great little guy who has a wonderful home! Like everyone else said, keep an eye on him! That way, when he starts to chew on something he shouldn't, you can give him something he can chew!

Can't wait to see some pics!

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

A hearty welcome to Scout! I can't wait to hear about his adventures.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

justine is offline Senior Member

Congrats!! Welcome Scout!

Pictures please!

congrats pictures would be lovely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast