Whats up with those people that are terrified of dogs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with those people that are terrified of dogs?

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

DefaultWhats up with those people that are terrified of dogs?

I dont know I just think its funny. Some people are just afraid of dogs, no matter what the dog is doing. I have never had an unrational fear of anything before so I dont understand. I mean if a big dog is running at you growling barking and acting hostile then ok, but if a dog is on a leash just walking along sniffing out the bushes and stuff, like murphy does when he doesnt notice someone, the person just freezes up and waits for me to walk around them while they have this terrified look on his face. With my old dog I never really noticed, I am no expert on dogs but if I see a lab puppy walking down the street the last thing on my mind is that the dog will attack me. People cross the street or turn the other way, sometimes people will be all freaked out and I turn around after I pass them and they are still looking at me and murphy like their life is flashing before their eyes. Anyone else notice this while walking their labs? I couldnt imagine just being freaked out everytime I see a dog, or anything else you would see everyday when you go outside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Whats up with those people that are terrified of dogs?

Just like dogs all people are different. Some are just very timid in certain respects and have what can only be described as an irrational fear. More people than we would like to admit, though, have probably have had or witnessed a traumatic experience involving a dog that has scared them.

Again, like with dogs, they may or may not ever overcome this and if they do it will most likely involve a gentle hand and many long slow steps.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with John. There could be many reasons. I have a totally irrational fear of spiders. I have never been bit, hurt or even come into direct contact with one but they TERRIFY me. A spider lover wouldn't understand this fear.

A few possbile reasons I can think of:

-- A bad experience with a dog. Being bitten or attacked can and would leave physical and mental scars for life.

-- Lack of experience with dogs. For someone with no experience or understanding of dogs a black, 80lb Lab coming towards them could easily make them nervous.

-- Fear of a particular breed. MANY people are afraid of black dogs. Breeds like Rotties, German Shepherds and Pit Bulls have a stigma attached to them.

-- Cultural differences. Certain cultures view dogs very differently. While out walking I have noticed several Muslim and Chinese families act totally terrified of my dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix Guest

Well, some people may have a bad experience with dog's, so i can fully understand them

In the park i met once a woman and two little childeren, who has three little dog's with them (jack russel mix, that kind of dogs). And they where afraid of their own dogs, they just where on top of a couch in the park, just sitting their being affraid of there own dog's ???

Oh, they just have to decide of witch dog has to leave, they had three dog's and room for two, sounds pretty lame to me, if you should ask, but it was real funny to see a person who's afraid of his own dog! ;D

U were walking ur black Labby? I think most people have a sort of in-built thing that black dogs are aggressive. Im not 'scared' of dogs or anything, but if i was walking towards a big black dog, I might get more nervous than walking towards a fluffy white terrier! I wish Merlin was black sometimes

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I am totally petrified of snakes. I don't mean I hate them....I don't mean I run from them....I don't mean I scream and think their scarey. I'm actually phobic about them. I saw one in my garage five years ago! I made my husband take every single thing out of our garage and either throw it out or scrub it down. Then he had to scrub down every square inch of the garage....walls and floor. The snake was lying beside some cases of soft drinks we had stacked up there. He had to throw out every single one of those cases of soft drinks. I was literally sick for days after seeing that snake in my garage....I mean in bed sick.

And to this very day, I will not walk out into the garage barefoot. I have to slip on shoes or flip-flops before I'll even take one or two steps out there to throw a can in the recycle bin. And every single time I am in that garage, my eyes are constantly looking around for snakes.

I've never been attacked by a snake or had any bad experience at all. It's just something that is built in me....definitely illogical....makes no sense....something mental that is inside my head and I can't help it.

That's the way it is with some people and dogs. They can't explain it. It's just a part of them like the way they might not like a certain food. That's why I'm really careful about Sally being around people. She's a big dog and might be very scarey to some people.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have several phobias, too, so I can understand how some people may feel this way. A phobia is something that sure is hard to shake. Oh, your rational mind is totally aware that it makes no sense, but try telling that to the other side of the brain. :P

But, dogs are not on my list of things to be afraid of, so like you, I always feel a little like WTH? when I see someone react. Crash was such a big dog, many people reacted that way to him simply because of his size. This never failed to amuse me, honestly, because he was the gentlest dog I've ever met. He would never have hurt anyone. I doubt he would have even become protective of me if I was ever threatened. But he had size going for him, and a sort of aloof nature...he was part Rottweiler, so he had a tendency to freeze and stare sometimes. It looked very intimidating

I guess I really haven't yet met a dog I was afraid of. :-\ There have been one or two that I've chosen not to approach - Crash's mother comes to mind - but I haven't had a scary experience. Knock on wood.

My mom used to be very afraid of dogs, actually. She said she was cornered by one when she was younger and backed up against a tree. It's sort of amazing that she has overcome this to be such good friends with mine.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I will tell you all this because I know you'll all get a kick out of it. I'm petrified of Poodles - and Portuguese Water Dogs (they look like Poodles). I was attacked by one when I was younger. I just get the heebie jeebies looking at them. I'm always afraid that one of them might see me as a tasty snack. Oh, they are nice to look at in Photos, a block a way from where I am - but I'll walk to the other side of the street before I walk next to one

patm is offline Senior Member

I feel bad when I meet people who are afraid of dogs. I think of all the wonderful things they could be missing by not even being able to be around these wonderful creatures. I also feel bad for their kids because they are teaching their kids to be afraid also, for no good reason. I think that when we have our dogs out, we should be mindful of people who could be very afraid of them and respect that. Fears are not really funny.

My girlfriend has a huge Rott/doberman mix and has had dogs her whole life but is afraid of strange dogs..........I didn't realize it until we were walking at the park with mine one day and one came running over to check Eddie out and she was very afraid! I found it very strange but I understand it a little.....the first time she met Eddie he stuck his nose right where a woman doesn't want it, he would not stop, she handled it very well and I thought it was funny while I was trying to get him to stop but she likes him!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast