Is She Ignoring Me? She Won't Sit or Come In. I Get Stares!

Thread: Is She Ignoring Me? She Won't Sit or Come In. I Get Stares!

DefaultIs She Ignoring Me? She Won't Sit or Come In. I Get Stares!

Aysa, my 9 year old, is driving me nuts! >

The Puppy will be home in two weeks and Aysa's has gone deaf almost overnight! I'm going NUTS!

We have 4 large glass sliding doors in each room that face the backyard. I make Aysa and Allie sit before allowing them to come into the house. There is plenty of room for her to enter (my son accused me of blocking the entrance...as if I was 2-1/2 feet wide). >

I give the sit command and Allie sits. Aysa, on the other paw, just stands and stares at me. When she does finally sit and I give the command to come in, I get more glassy eyed stares. However, if I get all excited like I won the lottery, she will come in, but after some serious thought on her part!

Meanwhile, Allie is sit-wiggling like crazy waiting to come in.

I allow Aysa to come in first because she is the Alpha Female. Allie *won't* come in before Aysa.

If I don't make Aysa sit and just give her free reign, she'll come in right away.

But, then, what have I accomplished? I gave in and Allie hasn't learned anything and then the Puppy will manipulate me and I'll lose all control, mayhem will ensue and I'll have a nervous breakdown...okay, maybe not *that* dramatic, but I'm in puppy overdrive...the clock is ticking and I had that whole mismark thing to deal with today.

Deep breath...exhale...any ideas? Could she be hard of hearing? She sure hears treat, let's go to bed, eat, dogs, etc. ;D

Ranger on the left, Brother on the Right

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is She Ignoring Me? She Won't Sit or Come In. I Get Stares!

IMHO people make a really big deal out of establishing alpha female omega male yadda yadda yadda. It doesn't matter. There's only one in charge and that should be you.

If Allie sits first, Allie should get to go in first. If Allie sits first, Allie should get rewarded first.

Maybe take Aysa out and work with her one on one as a reminder.

Relax.

risingphoenix is offline Member

Do you think Aysa senses at all that a new addition is going to be added to the family soon? Probably a silly question, but just wondering if she's worrying about having to share even more of your attention, and in so doing is trying to focus your attention on her. Just a thought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She could be hard of hearing. I would have it checked to see.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I disagree with Laura. The alpha roll in dog hierarchy is very important. You are doing the right thing. I would have her hearing checked. If it's ok, then you did to let her know that YOU are the alpha. Tell her to sit only once. If she doesn't, PUT HER IN A SIT. Without the other one present, since she won't come in before the other, put Asya in a sit, tell her to come in. If she doesn't, close the door on her and leave her out (if it's a fenced yard). After a few times of this, she will get the idea.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie