Prong collar

Thread: Prong collar

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultProng collar

My mother's shiba inu-lab mix teddy is a HORRIBLE leash puller. I told my mom that for a dog like Ted she has three options:
    1. A gentle leader
    2. An easy walk harness
    3. a prong collar.

So we went to petsmart to find which one worked best. Ted pracitcally had a nervous breakdown over the gentle leader so we decided not to get it. They didn't carry an easy walk harness so we looked at the prong collars. We couldn't figure out how to fit the collar properly. It seemed tangled up. Can someone show me what its supposed to look like? We couldn't figure out where to attach the leash cuz there was like 50 million o rings on it.

Also, is a prong collar supposed to tighten like a choke chain? The 14 inch prong collar Teddy could back out of cuz it wouldn't tighten. Teddy weighs 40 # and they didn't have any smaller prong collars. I figure it MUST have to tighten. Does anyone have step by step directions for a prong with pictures? My mom would greatly appreciate the help. TIA

Here is a picture of Ted man:

Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Prong collar

A prong collar should fit relatively tight around the neck behind the ears. You should just be able to get your fingers between the prongs and the neck. It works like a martingale/semi-choke collar. It does not go over the head. You unhook the collar between two of the links. There is only one place to hook a leash to a prong. There is a chain that goes through the ends of the prongs. There is a swivel link where the leash attaches. When pulled tight, the prong links should not come quite together . If they do and there's still play in the collar, it's too big. Just remove some of the links. If you unhook the links, you will have some of the prongs on one side of the chain and some on the other. Make sure all the points are pointing up. The tips of the prongs should be facing toward the right when the collar is on the dog and he's sitting in heel position. When walking dog with a prong, you don't have to pull on the collar. Let the dog self correct. Encourage them to stay by your side. If they get out of place, just hold tight. They will correct themselves. They'll learn if they don't pull the collar doesn't tighten on their necks. Hope this answers all your questions. Let me know if you need anything else answered.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much. The 14inch prong collar was too big. So I guess we do have to take links out. How do we take out the links? The 14 inch one is the smallest prong collar they have.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jinx is offline Senior Member

Its all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I was just thinking I had seen a good explanation on leerburg.

The tips of the prongs should be facing toward the right when the collar is on the dog and he's sitting in heel position.
    I did not know this! I haven't been paying attention to which way they faced. :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Paula is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Yeah, I was just thinking I had seen a good explanation on leerburg.

The tips of the prongs should be facing toward the right when the collar is on the dog and he's sitting in heel position.
    I did not know this! I haven't been paying attention to which way they faced. :-[
    Neither have I. I use one on Harley and Lily on our walks, and for the first time I put one on Duke today. It made such a difference for him I thought I was walking a different dog. It sure helped since I walk 5 at a time. People are always so amazed how well behaved they all are on our walks, but Duke was embarrassing me since he moved in with me last week. Now I have them all under control again, thanks to the Prong collar.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I had bought Rowan the large prong collar and took two or three links out of it. It makes a huge difference although she still 'tests' me.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

The direction of the pinch collar is crucial. Otherwise, it's not "pinching," just slipping and being generally annoying to the dog without creating enough of a correction to be useful.

My own personal opinion is that if your mother is amenable to training consistently, with the idea of getting back to a flat collar eventually, the pinch is the fastest way to teach loose-leash walking if you can't or won't clicker-train it. If she's thinking of the tool as a "way of life," then I'd go for the easy-walk or Sense-ation harness.