Axl needs surgery:(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axl needs surgery:(

DefaultAxl needs surgery:(

He was favoring his back leg last night and I gave him one of his pain pills thinking he just pulled a muscle. He was still favoring it this morning so I took him to the vet and he said he thinks its a torn cruiciate ligament. He told me he has to stay stable for a week. He doesnt own a crate anymore cuz we gave it away when he started being good around the house. So he is on rymadel and benedryl and has to get checked out again next friday then be evaluated to see if he needs surgery. eeks there is a 1,000.00 i wasnt planning on spending. poor guy, good thing is he has extra bones to chew on to keep him still....any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Axl needs surgery:(

I am sorry...hopefully the surgery will fix him up and he'll be good as new! Sorry I don't have any ideas. But know Axl is in my thoughts and prayers...

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Oh no poor Axl! Sending lots of good thoughts for that sweet boy. Keep us posted.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Axl. Sending good thoughts.
    Is there anyone you can borrow a crate from or you might be able to find a good deal on one from Ebay.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts that after a week of rest Axl won't need surgery.

Brookville, Pa.

Hope Axl gets better soon and won't need surgery. Sending good thoughts.

Michelle

He treats a crate like it something awful. We tried bring ours back up around christmas time trying to convince him to use it again since he hadnt been in one since he was about 6 months old. we tried throwing treats and stuff in there and he wouldnt even go in the room it was in. I think it will be easier on him after the weekend when we are gone back to work since i wont be here for him to want to follow me around.

Oh, poor baby! My Gracie ruptured her cruciate about 2 years ago when she was almost 5 years old. She is a real mellow girl, so the only time we used the crate was when we were not home with her and at night. She does not have any issues with the crate, so that wasn't a problem. Is there a small bathroom (or other small room) you can confine him to when you are not home? That will work just as well. When you are not there, all he is probably going to do is get up to shift position....he can do that in a crate too.

But with any luck he will not need the surgery and you won't have to worry about it! I hope that the surgeons in your neck of the woods are not as costly as they are here...the traditional fix runs about $1800 (that does not include followup x-rays or any physical therapy the dog may need) and the TPLO is about $3000. Gracie had the TPLO...we now refer to her as our moneypit! ;D But she is worth every penny of it!

when we are gone during the day all he does is sleep so i am not worried about that. Axl is the most neurotic dog we have ever seen. totally freaks out about

stairs
    car rides
    getting weighed at the vet
    carpet
    vacumms
    any loud noise
    and i am sure i could come up with a few more. My vet said surgery is about a 1,000.00 which i pray he doesnt need because we are so broke right now. We have 2 in college and I am opening my own business wednesday and just went heavy into debt for that. so please everyone say a prayer that he mellow out for the next week and is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast