An Opportunity to Educate

Thread: An Opportunity to Educate

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultAn Opportunity to Educate

I took Tal to the lake this afternoon. I swear I don't know who has more fun me or him..lol..Anyway, he swam out and retrieved his ball and when he got on shore he started to play keep away with me..aka Gonna Get You. We were having so much fun when this lady was walking by and saw us. She heared Tal give his play growl. When I got his ball from him I tossed it into the water for him to retrieve andthe lady said she thought he would bite me there for a second.

I was puzzled and then as we talked and I explained that was his play growl and it was his way of communicating he was having fun with me. She didnt know that and said well it did look like we were having fun! So there are still lots of folks out there who will listen and allow themselves to be educated about things.

Then a group of kids was walking along and one of them asked me if the dog was real..not sure where that came from then asked if he was walking on the bottom (the lake only comes up to waist deep on me at the deepest point) and I said nope..he's swimming...they were impressed that Tal was swimming. Kids were maybe 6 or 7 years old...it was a nice fun afternoon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: An Opportunity to Educate

Sounds like a fun time. I'm glad that ladt y listened to you. Our last lab would give a loud play growl when we played. It was her way of telling me to try & get her frisbee. ;D

I bet those little kids were impressed with Tal & his swimming.

Yeah I agree! When tal first gave me his play growl some months ago I thought that's what it was and posted about it to make sure. And everyone's response confirmed my suspicion. And I think it was Labby (Laura) who said it was him having fun with me! So I in turn was able to educate someone else! I thought that was kinda cool.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I don't get play growls from the boys yet. They do it with each other, but not with me. I really wish they would, because I think it's very cute.

Crash had a GREAT play growl. He would only do it when we were playing tug, and I would reach under with one hand and stroke his throat. I loved that play growl.

It's nice that the lady was willing to listen. Sounds like a fun time. I know what you mean about not knowing who has more fun. :P I would have never thought I could get so much out of just watching them have a good time.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I don't get play growls from the boys yet. They do it with each other, but not with me. I really wish they would, because I think it's very cute.

Crash had a GREAT play growl. He would only do it when we were playing tug, and I would reach under with one hand and stroke his throat. I loved that play growl.

It's nice that the lady was willing to listen. Sounds like a fun time. I know what you mean about not knowing who has more fun. :P I would have never thought I could get so much out of just watching them have a good time.
    Yeah the play growl always makes me laugh. When you had Crash, was he your only dog at the time? I was wondering since Angus and Simon have eachother maybe that has something to do with it. Tal is an only child so that may be why he does the play growl thing with me.

I too was glad that lady was willing to listen and learn. What irritates me isn't that people do not know something but that they THINK they know it!