Old(ish) owner, New Old Dog (crossposted from Senior Dogs)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old(ish) owner, New Old Dog (crossposted from Senior Dogs)

DefaultOld(ish) owner, New Old Dog (crossposted from Senior Dogs)

I am new to the forum, it has been 30+ years since I owned a Lab and I have just inherited a 7 year old yellow lab after my Sister died.
    We moved the dog (by air) from Chicago to Atlanta and although she is eating ok (after all she is a labrador), she won't leave the driveway, even if she is on a leash.
    She will happily come round from the back, but when she sees the road - cul de sac, she stops, sits down and won't move any further. In desperation, I tried rolling dog treats down the road, so that she would follow them. It worked, but I thought that the point of exercise for dogs was to keep weight off, not add it back on.
    It has only been a couple of days since she flew down, so she is still probably a little disorientated, but I am baffled as to why she doesn't want to walk in the neighbourhood.
    Does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to walk with me further than the end of the driveway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Old(ish) owner, New Old Dog (crossposted from Senior Dogs)

Sorry I can't help with your questions, but welcome & great to have you on the board! We'd also love to see pics of your new cutie!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I take it your sister never took her for walks? Or maybe she did when the pavement was too hot, or some other traumatic experience for her. I would say to keep trying. It might take some time, but she should eventually do it. I think. Instead of rolling it down the road, maybe keep them in your hand instead. Get her to take a step out, give a treat. Another step, another treat, etc.

Good luck with her!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Did she have invisible fencing?

Sorry for your loss...good luck with your lab, please stick around and post pics of your lab when you can.

I was going to ask about invisible fencing too. My pup knows that if he has his leash on, he's going for a walk, but he only walks comfortably through the fence line if I say "Leash On" as we go. That was the command I taught him to know it was okay to cross. Maybe she's waiting for her command? Dunno, but welcome!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oooo, good call about the invisible fencing!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes, good call. I was thinking it sounded as though she were trained not to go into the street. Invisible fencing would explain it!

Could you try taking her somewhere in a car and seeing if she would walk there?

As you said, it's only been a couple of days. Bless her heart. Can you imagine how confused she must be feeling? It's not like a child - you can't explain to them what happened, why they have a new home.

Bless you for taking her, and for trying to do best by her. Give her time to settle in at your home. You two will find your own routine.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

yes, like the others I was going to ask about the invisible fence of it she had been trained with a 100% reliable - do not leave the yard behavior.

I was also going to suggest that you take her some where in the car - and walk her around. If she handles that fine, then you might want to drive just down the block on your next trip, take your walk and then walk her back into the yard/driveway and see how she handles that.

Depending on her reaction you might be able to untrain this (if you want to) in a realtively short time.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

First, I'm sorry for your loss.
    Second, welcome!

Onto business:
    Yes, I, too, immediately thought of invisible fencing. If your Sister had it going across the driveway, it would be understandable if your pup (what's her name?) didn't want to go past the imaginary line without considerable persuasion.

I agree with Connie (AngusFangus). Put her in the car and drive to the end of the driveway then let her out and see how she reacts!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Thanks for all of the feedback and comments, so to reply:

1. She has never encountered an invisible fence, only real ones; she also had a reputation as being a bit of a wanderer, if she found the gate open.
    2. I like the idea of driving down the road and then walking back - I will try that this weekend
    3. I am also going to try to take her to the local dog park to see how she responds to that

I'll try and get a picture of her and upload it as soon as I get organized.
    Thanks for all the comments
    IndysNewDad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast