What is this????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this????

DefaultWhat is this????

Marlan has a small, reddish bump near his mouth. It looks like a pimple. Does anyone know what this might be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What is this????

Is it outside his mouth or inside on his lip? Both have been shown on this board. If outside it could be an ingrown hair and will probably go away in a few days. If inside the lip then it should probably be looked at by a vet.

Emma has one also...outside her lip Does look like a pimple.
    If it's outside, leave it, it will go away. Any lumps inside a vet should check them, just to be safe.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

If it looks like a pimple, it may very well be one! Aly used to have horrible acne!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's this? Puff had some on her lips when she was younger and recently had one removed from her left eyelid.

ORAL PAPILLOMATOSIS (WARTS IN THE MOUTH)

"Oral papillomas are painless warts that grow on the lips and in the mouths of dogs younger than two years old. They are caused by the canine oral papilloma virus. Initially, papillomas are small and pink. Over four to six weeks they increase in size and assume a rough, grayish white, cauliflowerlike appearance. As many as 50 to 100 papillomas may be present. Skin papillomas caused by the same virus are common and occur on the surface of the eyelids and the skin of the body.

"Treatment: Oral papillomas usually disappear spontanously in 6 to 12 weeks. If they fail to do so, they can be removed by surgery, freezing, or electrocautery. Chemotherapy is effective in the case of numerous lesions. The dog's immune system makes antibodies that prevent reinfection."

-- from Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" 3rd Edition, 2000, pp 214-215.

(This book saves its cost many times over in avoiding unneeded vet appointments as well as unfortunate delays in seeing a vet. All dogs should come equipped with this book, all owners should consult it as needed. Less than $25 from Amazon.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Mocha had acne when she was younger too. I found this picture while searching for what they were. Everyone told me to change to stainless steel bowls that a lot of times it's from bacteria from plastic water or food bowls. I switched and they went away.

Thanks for the ideas.

It's still there. It has changed from pinkish to Mar's skin colour (like a greyish blackish). It still looks like I a pimple, I guess, and the vet didn't know what it was. I don't think it's acne as there is only one.

I'm thinking it may be an Oral papilloma, as Bob Pr. suggested. I'm going to keep an eye on it. It doesn't seem to be causing pain or discomfort.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Phoebe has one of those Papilloma warts on her lower lip...it's been there for a few months and doesn't seem to do anything. She's had them in the past and they've just kind of gone away on their own.
    Becca & Phoebe

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

and the vet didn't know what it was.
    Really? They're quite common.

"Strike One!"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Nope, the vet told Ryan he wasn't sure what it was and just to keep an eye on it. I'll try to get a pic.. I'm not overly worried about it at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast