Teenage Testing time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Testing time?

DefaultTeenage Testing time?

Emma will be 2 at the end of August. As many of you know, she has always been the Lab. She has never really destroyed anything, isn't a chewer, very obedient, etc etc.... In the last few days, my DH and I have noticed, she needs 2-3 good reasons to do whatever it is you want her to do. Emma...come (she turns and looks at you)....pause...wait... Emma! Come! (moves 2-3 steps towards you but then runs off to grab a kong, frisbee, ball, etc .... EMMA! COME! finally she saunters over wagging her tail and laughing at us.

What is going onnnnnn? Is this the terrible 2's or something? or is she entering the teenage era? This is all VERY unlike her.
    So, do I bust her down to some NILF exercises? Increase her exercise maybe?
    Thanks for any suggestions. Meanwhile, Aidan listens to HIS commands and HERS! If I'm calling her and she doesnt respond, he comes running right over, wagging and licking me like " I'm the GOOD Lab, Mom! Here I am!! Love MEEEEE" lol!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teenage Testing time?

Lol at Aidan. ;D Emma's behavior sounds familiar. Kody went through a phase like that (actually somedays I think he still is : ). I went back to random treats for basic commands. Just out of the blue I would have some of his super tasty treats in hand and go through sit, come, down, etc. for a couple of minutes. I guess they need a refresher course once in a while to get throught the teen years.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

She's too old for the "teenage" stage, they usually go through that just before they turn 1. I think she's just feels like being bratty. ;D

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Yup, just being bratty. I get bouts of that once in awhile. I started getting concerned and as quick as it came on ,it went away.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    She's too old for the "teenage" stage, they usually go through that just before they turn 1. I think she's just feels like being bratty. ;D
    I respectfully disagree. Mine were about two when they started testing my authority on commands. Some additional training get them back into order. I follow NILIF all the time.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

If Emma was a male, I would say she's going thru the teenage years, but females usually hit that about 9 - 12 months. Ria is 5 and sometimes "come" is not in her vocabulary. She gets preoccupied with a smell and all bets are off.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

One of my dogs was a royal pain in the backside until he was 18 months. It is not unusual for them to still act up at this age.

Yep, my dog went through this too. Her first stage was when she was about 6 months. Then about a year or year and a half. We just went back to the basics and praising her like crazy. We also learned that if we gave her a little more excercise she would be calmer. A tired mind can't think of anything bad to do Just stay calm and focused on the task at hand. Refresh her sits, comes, downs etc. before you really need to "use" it. Make it fun, after all they just want to have fun in this stage of their life

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Emma sounds like Brigetta! I posted about training yesterday because for about a week Brigetta takes a few seconds before she'll follow a command. I tell her to sit, she'll stare at me for a few seconds, then sit. It's like every command has to be on her time. Even this morning, I told her to get in her house, she just sat there, then eventually got up and went into the crate :-\ I'm changing her nickname from Crazy to Bratty!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Fanny is 4 and still can be like that! What's in it for me? is the look I get.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast