Thinking of getting a lab puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a lab puppy

TJB

DefaultThinking of getting a lab puppy

Have the opportunity to get a lab puppy, just born 5/4, but already have a miniture Schnauzer. Would they get along together?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thinking of getting a lab puppy

My mom has 2 mini schnauzers that get along GREAT together but don't really get much socializing with other dogs beyond that...and when Sam comes around (my mother in law's lab) they kinda get territorial.

I think that if your MS is socialized well, he should do fine. IMO

Does your current dog like dogs? Large dogs? Puppies? Do you know what to look for in a reputable breeder or rescue?

Welcome to the forum

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree -- if your Schnauzer is good with other dogs he will adapt just fine.

The much bigger questions relate to the Lab pup...is this your first Lab? where are you getting the pup from? have you researched the breed inside out? are you aware of how demanding physically and mentally Labradors can be especially in the first few years of life? do you have the time and energy to deal with a rambunctious, energetic puppy?

Are u and your MS very active? or are you used to being bitten on? or having things around your house shredded to bits? are you prepared to Lab proof your house? your yard? Are you ready to give your Lab and MS alot of time and exercise and training? Is your house large enough to accommodate both dogs and you? This dog will eventually grow to between 50 to 80 pounds (big difference from a MS). Are you able to financially pull this off..vet bills, medicine, flee treatments, etc. etc.? Have you researched everything that you need to know about the breeder, and the pups parents? if so...like Rocky would say "Go for it" welcome to the forum! 8)

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TJB
    Have the opportunity to get a lab puppy, just born 5/4, but already have a miniture Schnauzer. Would they get along together?
    So, this puppy is 6 days old. How did this "opportunity" present itself to you?

Seamus and Flynn

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

The puppy will not be ready to come home until he/she is 7-8 weeks old. In the meantime, please do lots of research on Labs. They are great dogs but like others said they do require lots of attention and exercise.

Is the litter from a reputable breeder or the result of an "accident"? Have you been able to meet the parents? That will tell you alot about the probable temperament of your puppy.

I agree with the others. tal is almost 10 months and I did a ton of reading and research before getting him. I am glad I did because not only has it prevented alot of frustration for us both, but it pointed me in the direction I needed to make sure I provide a good home for him.

Definitely do not want to discourage you just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open so you don't have any surprises...

My sister has 2 mini Schnauzers and they get along great with my labs. Where did you find out about the litter?
    Also, take a look at the puppy training forum here, lots of great advice there.

TJB

Puppies belong to friend of husband's coworker and we will get to meet the parents and puppies in a couple of weeks. Yes, we have yard, house and financial resouces. The Schnauzer has bonded with my husband, has played well with other Schnauzers. We're looking for something larger, loveable for myself and 12 year old daughter. Have not made committment yet and are pondering the time committment to training as the Schnauzer was extremely easy to train.

Please consider adopting a rescued lab or getting one from a shelter. Then you avoid all the puppy problems. Look at petfinder.com for labs near you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast