Laying Against Furniture & Walls

Thread: Laying Against Furniture & Walls

DefaultLaying Against Furniture & Walls

How do I get my dogs to stop laying up against the backs of our furniture and against walls?

We have a large U shaped couch and one side of the U faces the kitchen and dining area. This is Allie's favorite place to lay.

Our concern is she is pushing in the fabric causing it to get baggy...and probably dirty and smelly too!

I tried putting a little carpet a few inches away to see if she would lay on that instead, but she wants her back against the couch.

And, since we are finishing a remodel, the whole house has new paint and baseboards. I can see the little dirt shadows growing on the walls as I type, LOL!

I understand the logic of why why they are doing it, but I don't know how to get them to stop.

Each of the dogs do have their own beds, but only one each. The beds usually stay in the bedroom, but often we have to drag them from room to room so keep the dogs off of the area rugs. Is this something I'm going to have to do to keep them off the walls and furniture?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Laying Against Furniture & Walls

I have dog beds upstairs and downstairs.Now that the weather is warming up they love to sleep on the ceramic in the entrance way. Mine do not sleep against the walls or at least I don't think so.. I don't worry about the area rugs and furniture,they're cleanable. I have had labs forever it seems. I consider them part of my decor. I suppose you could train them to sleep in the dog beds.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Its the oils in their coats that get to the furniture. You may have to drape a sheet over the back of the couch if you can't get them to stop. Extra dog beds in those rooms may help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Laying Against Furniture & Walls/Purchasing Beds

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Its the oils in their coats that get to the furniture. You may have to drape a sheet over the back of the couch if you can't get them to stop. Extra dog beds in those rooms may help.
    There's no way my DH will go for a sheet draped over the back, but he will probably go for the extra beds.

We used to have 4 beds, but when Allie was a puppy, I didn't realize she would annihilate the nice cushy ortho bed I had in the crate. Can you believe I was so stupid as to leave her in the crate, in a room, alone, at 6 mos, after rescuing her from the shelter? What an IDIOT!! I know so much more now!! LOL. And, I was so stupid then, I replaced the destroyed bed with the xtra one!!

My husband wanted the dogs to lay on the area rugs under the coffee and pool table and remove the beds in the living and family rooms all together. I was reluctant, but now that the novelty of the rugs has worn off, I'm okay with that.

Since Allie is the main offender, I will need to get her a bed for near the couch where she can see into the 3 rooms...the back of the couch gives her a line of sight through the dining furniture, past my computer station and kitchen and into the front room where the entry is. So, she can see a lot from there...and right now the little bugger is not even near the little carpet I put down! She has her belly and back feet on the back of the couch and her front legs around the other end!

Any suggestions on where to get good beds at reasonable prices? Or, should I just grab my checkbook and head on down to Pet's Mart? LOL!

Good luck trying to get her to stop. I think getting her to lay in her bed in each room will be your best option.

Murray has to lay against something (usually me ;D ) but he is very comfortable to lay in his snuggle ball bed. This is kind of like a bean bag so it envelops him. He also likes his crate bed which has a bolster. I think both of these give him the same comfort/security as being against a chair or sofa.

Murray has a bed by my bed and one downstairs as well as one that goes in his crate when we are traveling. Essy just has one bed that we move from room to room (she also shares Murray's x-large bed downstairs) and her crate bed. Personally I don't think you can have too many beds.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm with Lydia. Good luck. Labs just have to lay up against something and in my house its usually upside down and up against something.

Laura

DefaultRe: Laying Against Furniture & Walls/Purchasing Beds

Quote Originally Posted by alliesmom

Any suggestions on where to get good beds at reasonable prices? Or, should I just grab my checkbook and head on down to Pet's Mart? LOL!

Costco.

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

Our concern is she is pushing in the fabric causing it to get baggy...and probably dirty and smelly too!
    With all due respect ... welcome to the world of lab ownership!! Our house and car will never smell like a meadow but this is the way we like it!

swimmer is offline Senior Member

Perris sleeps in our bedroom on a bed nestled against two walls. The walls got to be quite dirty looking so SU went to Home Depot and bought about a five-foot length of plexiglass. He cut it to fit the two walls (it's about 2-feet tall) and then we pushed Perris's bed against the plexiglass. Voila! No more dirty walls.