Do you train your dogs on a regular basis?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you train your dogs on a regular basis?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you train your dogs on a regular basis?

I was wondering how often every one does basic training with their dogs. I’ve noticed with Brigetta that I have to be fairly consistent with her basic training. I’m not sure if it’s due to her age (15 months), or something I’m doing or not doing.

Was there a point where your dogs were so solid with basic commands that you no longer had to do “refresher training”?

Since our last training class ended, I’ll go over basic training (sit, stay, down, wait, stand, etc) 3 or 4 times a week for about 15 min. I like to do other fun things like setting up some Rally signs or trying a new trick (we’ve only mastered “shake hands” so far), but if I don’t keep up with the basics, she acts out a little.

Over the past 3 weeks Prudence had been sick and then had surgery, I have been spending a lot less time on the basic training. We still go for walks, and play around with the soccer ball, etc., but for about a week she has not been following commands. If I tell her to sit, she’ll look at me for a few seconds, then sit. Or if we’re out and I’m talking to someone and put her in a sit/stay, she’ll only stay for a few seconds. The daycare even mentioned it to me, so they asked exactly how I train basic commands with her, like sit and off, so they could work with her during the day.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddy and Bailey is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you train your dogs on a regular basis?

I use to train b&B on a regular basis when they were young but since they turned 2 I don't do daily formal training.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't make formal training a daily occurrence but training is very much integrated into our day to day routine. For example in the morning they have to 'sit' and 'wait' for their food, then at walk time we practice heeling, long distance 'sits' and 'downs', formal retrieves, recalls, etc.

Actual formal training sessions around the house probably only happen a few times a week. Usually on a rainy day or if their walks haven't been as long as normal for whatever reason. Formal sessions in the house last no more than 5 or 10 minutes. Formal stuff is drop on recall, heelwork, controlled retrieves, etc. The fun stuff is learning or going over tricks. Roll over, close the doors, jump over my leg, play dead, etc. I'll usually do a few minutes of both.

I think you have to strike a balance. In my opinion, doing formal training sessions every day can get boring for them. If you work them in short sessions a couple of times per week, mixing the formal with the informal, you are doing good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I still do stuff with Oona everyday just to keep her sharp. Just about 15 minutes.
    Olie

Felix Guest

Evry day, when Laika play's .. she's in training

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We train pretty much every day (we take days off when either of us is sick). But we're competing, so it's a bit different. I think you can do informal training every day with basic commands. I make Scotty sit-stay every time I make the bed (he like to jump up on it). We also do a recall informally several times during the day. It does not have to be a formal training session, it's easy to find opportunities to work on the basics throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    We train pretty much every day (we take days off when either of us is sick). But we're competing, so it's a bit different. I think you can do informal training every day with basic commands. I make Scotty sit-stay every time I make the bed (he like to jump up on it). We also do a recall informally several times during the day. It does not have to be a formal training session, it's easy to find opportunities to work on the basics throughout the day.
    This is pretty much us too, well, at least for Gabby. We train informally everyday and do at least one lesson a week. Gabby is hopefully getting her last RN leg this weekend. Maverick is my lost cause.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't define it as specified training but everyday we try to reinforce some training that they had. Sitting before going outside. Sit stay when tossing the tennis ball. I really need to get some more formal stuff underway again. Leash walking is sloppy, coming off of winter they are more excitable now.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

We train every day. On walks, in the house... nothing "formal" I suppose, but we'll practice heeling, sitting when halting, right/left turns, about turns, fronts and finishes while on our walks. I want to make sure that Henry understands that eg. front and finish is the same on sidewalks, on grass, in the house etc as that in his training hall. We do recalls on a long line (or Flexi) at the park too, as well as at home.

Oh yes, and lots of "watch me"!

It's fun... and I'm sure it's humourous to watch us out walking! LOL!

Like Tatyana we are competing so the dogs are trained for at least 15 min every day. We also integrate obedience commands into our daily life so even if we miss a formal session for some reason, they still practice the basics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast