Thread: Do dogs get depressed?

speechley is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo dogs get depressed?

And if so, how do you know???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Do dogs get depressed?

I believe so, mine does only when he knows or feels I am. Besides that though, I think Jager had a horrible time when the Paris chew toy didn't wake up one morning, when I mention her name he usually lowers his head.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't know if it's a real doggy affliction, but I can tell when Maddy gets bummed that she can't go into the backyard to play. She gets into a bit of a funk during the winter. We can tell she is in better spirits now that the days are longer, we spend more time outside, we do more training, she gets more play time and walks....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Shadow used to get depressed when Bill started packing his bag to leave after being home for a weekend. She would see that bag on the bed and just droop, walk around so sad-looking, tail draggin', and practically sighing out loud. Yes, they do get a form of depression.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I believe they do too..... not my dogs, but the dogs at the shelter I volunteer at...... when they don't get adopted in a relatively short time, they seem to get depressed, and give up on going home with someone. We are not a kill shelter, so they never get put down, but sometimes it takes months for a dog to be adopted, and you can definitley see them get depressed.

melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

When I have been off for a week or more and have to start back to school, Tal will kind of droop around and look really sad. Sometimes he wont eat his breakfast. But he is hungry by lunchtime tho. I have started taking him to daycare the first day I go back. That eases him back into the normal routine.

I'm pretty sure when you think your dog is depressed its just your feelings being reflected on to them...I have never seen my dog depressed.

Cinnamon does when I go back to work after a weekend on Mondays she is always down.

My other dogs always did when another of our dogs passed. My dobie would for a few days when my gram went home for the summers.

Not as active, tail down, lack of spunk etc.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think that's it's usually more of a form of internalized anxiety, or fear.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Yes absolutely. There is an article about it in Dog Fancy, I think its the current issue. Usually the depressions follows an event. Another pet or family member moves away or dies. The dog becomes lethargic , it might stop eating. Possible solutions are to take him out for walks in new areas. Take him out for a car ride. Play with them. Bring in a new pet. And in the short term medication may also be used, but don't ask me what, I was reading the article while I was at the vet's office.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast